Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Backpack question for 4x5

Re: Backpack question for 4x5

Wow david there are lots of those inserts available! One thing I like about that vs having a lowe pro, like Bryan is using, is you can put it in a backpack and the backpack still looks like a regular trail bag, and not like an expensive camera system.
    ~nicholas
    lifeofstawa
    stawastawa at gmail

Dave Karp

Except for the Photobackpacker products, the Redwings and similar packs are much better packs, with better suspensions than most photo backpacks. Photobackpacker made an even nicer DSLR insert, but I am happy with the insert I linked to above. There is still more room in the Redwing, which could have been for more photo equipment, but the insert I bought holds everything I need. There is room in the top of the pack for a sweatshirt, lunch, or something else. It is good that is is separated from the photo gear.

Film and Darkroom User

I am very pleased with the Mindshift Firstlight 40L...

http://www.mindshiftgear.com/products/firstlight-40l

... light and big enough for my 4x5 kit.

Barry

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Wilkinson View Post
    I am very pleased with the Mindshift Firstlight 40L...

http://www.mindshiftgear.com/products/firstlight-40l

... light and big enough for my 4x5 kit.

Barry
    Barry, would you mind sharing a snapshot of your packing strategy?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Platinum Palladium Printer
    The Cunningham Press

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    Probably something like 7 years ago bought a LowePro Slingshot bag. Used it professionally for maybe 3 or 4 years. A main zipper broke on it so I called LowePro to see how I could get it repaired. Was asked for the manufacturing info on a tag on the bag. Was told no need to send the bag back to them for repair. I should be getting a new bag to replace mine in the mail in a week or so. Now that's a company that stands behind their product.
    Had a nearly identicle experience with a similar model LowPro sling bag. I bought it used at a camera store knowing the zipper to a small pocket was broken. In all innocence, I brought it to a local independent outdoor sports store (like REI) asking aboutgetting the zipper fixed. They took the bag and my contact info and said they would call me. I expected that they had some zipper-wizard who would magic it back together. A week later they called to say . ."Your bag is ready." and I went in. To my surprise, there was a completely new bag in factory packaging!

Turns out they carry LowePro bags and packs and so called it in as a warrantee issue. Who knew?
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com
    http://www.artsyhome.com/author/drew-bedo

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!

David Schaller

I use the best backpack I can find, which has been the Dana Designs Bomb pack. It's a top loader, so I have a bunch of smaller cases for camera, lenses and film holders. Theoretically it takes more time to unload and reload, but I can hike further in greater comfort than I could using a specialized photo pack. You can buy excellent large day packs for less than half the money of the photo packs, and have the benefit of better internal frames and waist belts and so on.

Quote Originally Posted by David Schaller View Post
    I use the best backpack I can find, which has been the Dana Designs Bomb pack. It's a top loader, so I have a bunch of smaller cases for camera, lenses and film holders. Theoretically it takes more time to unload and reload, but I can hike further in greater comfort than I could using a specialized photo pack. You can buy excellent large day packs for less than half the money of the photo packs, and have the benefit of better internal frames and waist belts and so on.
    I have and use a circa 1988 Dana Design Direct. Holds 4400 cu. in. and even when it's filled to the max, is the most comfortable backpack I have every owned and used. Unfortunately my 8x10 will not fit inside the Dana. The best camera cases ever made were ones from Camera Care Systems in England... think they stopped making Pro cases in the late 1990s. Back then used several of their cases to carry camera equipment with me when rock climbing. One time was packing up after rock climbing and accidentally left behind my SLR in one of their cases on the ground. Heavy downpour of rain all through the night. Was able to hike back to find and retrieve the camera the next day. Inside of case and camera were totally dry.

The guy who started Dana Design now has a company called "Mystery Ranch". I picked up their model called 'Scree' last year and use it with inserts from amazon and fish pond for my 5x7, lenses, and holders and have been very happy that set up.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2017-03-03 at 1.03.42 PM.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	53.2 KB 
ID:	162080

Orvis has a nice sized back pack, Safe Passage Angler's Daypack. With some inserts or using soft cases for camera, a reel case for lenses, and soft lunch box for holders you could put a bunch of stuff in there. I like the way it opens up fully rather than having to reach in from top. The hip/back support and shoulders are comfortable. If like me you like fly fishing too, your rod has a slot and you can add the chest pack that snaps in to the main pack to keep wet stuff away from the camera gear.

Was looking at backp;acks in general and ranacross several that while they are "tactical" could be adapted for photography.

OK . . .so they are built for (gasp!) GUNS for Pet's sake. Let's look beyond that folr a moment.

http://www.elitesurvival.com/conceal...ifle-backpack/
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDREsLirGyw

There are others of course. What drew my attention is that they have built in hook and loop interiors that will take regular dividers from a photo bag. Another feature is that they both open fullyh for complete access. They are designed to be rugged and ergonomic . . .and blend in with any other book-bag/day pack on a metro bus or airliner.

In the end, I bought a vintage Eddy Bauer daypack on e-Bay.
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com
    http://www.artsyhome.com/author/drew-bedo

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!