Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Backpack question for 4x5

Backpack question for 4x5

I'm outgrowing my generic photo backpack that I've been using for 4x5. I'm looking to "upgrade" to something a little bit better. My original plan was to pick up a used Lowepro Photo Trekker AW I or II. I recently found padded camera inserts on Amazon (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B017XCYUIK...oding=UTF8&me=). I think two of them would fit into my Kelty Redwing Bag. Any opinions on what option would be better? I'll be using it for day hikes at local state parks. Current gear includes: Toyo 45A, Fuji 90mm f/8, Fuji 150mm f/6.3, Fuji 210mm f/5.6. I plan on adding a Fuji 400T f/8 down the line. I also will carry a Minolta incident, Pentax spot meter, film holders, filters, etc.)

Thank you for any insight.

Steven

Re: Backpack question for 4x5

I recently purchased an Fstop Anja for my Technikardan and 90/150/210 setup and couldn't be happier. Your Toyo 45A is a bit smaller than the Technikardan so there should be enough extra room for the 400T.

I checked a Lowepro ProTactic 450 in the store last weekend to see if it would fit a 5x4 and it seems like a decent backpack for it. Would be curious if anyone uses it for that.

The Anja Bags look nice.

I personally have been happy with my kelty redwing. for tachihara 4x5 + a 35mm kit. one thing with the kelty is no reinforced bottom, so either throw a towel or a foam pad or something on the bottom to prevent damadge when you put the bag down. I also still wish I had had a zipper conversion done so the front of the bag would unzip all the way, but it's not a big deal .
    ~nicholas
    lifeofstawa
    stawastawa at gmail

This is destined to become my favorite thread. Last time out I jammed my Ebony 45SU and 4 more lenses into a LowePro ProRunner 350 AW. It didn't leave much room for film holders.
    I've been looking at MindShift Gear FirstLight 40L, but I didn't know about the Anja.

Quote Originally Posted by faberryman View Post
    I recently purchased an Fstop Anja for my Technikardan and 90/150/210 setup and couldn't be happier. Your Toyo 45A is a bit smaller than the Technikardan so there should be enough extra room for the 400T.
    If you get the nasturtium color, I'll bet it will light the trail at night.

I went with the Red Bull edition - grey with red accents.

Probably something like 7 years ago bought a LowePro Slingshot bag. Used it professionally for maybe 3 or 4 years. A main zipper broke on it so I called LowePro to see how I could get it repaired. Was asked for the manufacturing info on a tag on the bag. Was told no need to send the bag back to them for repair. I should be getting a new bag to replace mine in the mail in a week or so. Now that's a company that stands behind their product.

A couple of months ago I bought a Lowepro Tactic 450AW. This is a newer model, and of course "optimized" for digital cameras. However, I've found it to be really great for 4x5 and related accessories.

With the removal of just a couple of dividers, a folding field cam and plenty of film holders fits in the bottom, with lots of room for lenses and also some extra, smaller-format cameras. This bag has a laptop area which I use for a Quickload holder and a dozen or so color film envelopes. Filters and other stuff also can go in the zippered areas on the lid.

The side panels open up and you can grab lenses, film, or other stuff there. The top also opens and again, you can put whatever you want in there to be readily accessible.

Highly recommended - this is my daily-carry bag now. Big enough for everything I want to bring but not humongous like the bigger Tamrac bag I have. Plus, something that really sold me, is that there isn't 10 different straps and connectors hanging off the dang thing. My big Tamrac has all kinds of junk hanging off it and it's really annoying. Plus I have hit others while walking with swinging straps and stuff which I don't like.

Here's a pick of it loaded up:

Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

Dave Karp

Quote Originally Posted by hazardsg View Post
    I'm outgrowing my generic photo backpack that I've been using for 4x5. I'm looking to "upgrade" to something a little bit better. My original plan was to pick up a used Lowepro Photo Trekker AW I or II. I recently found padded camera inserts on Amazon (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B017XCYUIK...oding=UTF8&me=). I think two of them would fit into my Kelty Redwing Bag. Any opinions on what option would be better? I'll be using it for day hikes at local state parks. Current gear includes: Toyo 45A, Fuji 90mm f/8, Fuji 150mm f/6.3, Fuji 210mm f/5.6. I plan on adding a Fuji 400T f/8 down the line. I also will carry a Minolta incident, Pentax spot meter, film holders, filters, etc.)

Thank you for any insight.

Steven
    I cobbled something together out of foam to use in my Redwing, but recently purchased an insert on eBay that is larger (16.5x12x8 - roughly) than the one you linked to. It slides into my Redwing and leaves a bit of room at the top. I have not used it for LF equipment, but it works great with my Bronica SQ-A or Mamiya 645. I have one of each camera, multiple lenses, film backs, filters, lens hoods, and my spot meter. The seller is a-mode2011. Here is a link that works for now: http://www.ebay.com/itm/261809245564...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT. You can adjust the dividers.

Thanks a lot for that post! It convinced me to go buy one today :-D