Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Where has all the Ilford Ortho Plus 4x5 gone?

Eric Woodbury

Re: Where has all the Ilford Ortho Plus 4x5 gone?

Vaughn, I picked up some 'used' boxes too. It's an interesting film that I use for N++ or more. I've been developing in Xtol 1:1. I haven't printed many of my negs with it yet, but those that I have look good. I've been guessing on the ISO and usually get a dense neg, but I print through that it looks fine. Even though it's ortho, I develop in the dark. I see that BH is promising Sept delivery for Ortho Plus.

My stock of Tech Pan is still healthy. I use this when I need extreme expansion, but that makes it pretty twitchy to hit the exposure.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Woodbury View Post
    My stock of Tech Pan is still healthy. I use this when I need extreme expansion, but that makes it pretty twitchy to hit the exposure.
    What's your address and passcode for the alarm?
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

Eric Woodbury

Vaughn, when Kodak announced TP was discontinued, I ordered several boxes of 45 from Freestyle. I also have some 8x10 TP that I cut down to 5x7. And somebody gave me a bunch of 'dirty-five' rolls and 120 rolls. I sold the 35 and am slowly using the rest. I've never used it for normal contrast / high resolution. I only use when I need N++++. Very interesting film. If I have any left when I'm done, I'll leave it to you in my will. In the meantime, let me put a big lock and chain around the frig.

Never got to play with any Tech Pan 8x10. But back then, I found Kodak Copy film to do the job wonderfully. Though I occasionally ended up with a neg with atomic bomb proof highlights when the exposure and development did not balance out well! But I have made good carbon prints using such negatives...granted a six-hour exposure under a 175W lamp was a bit long!

For making carbon prints, I am looking for DRs above 2.5 (but all those numbers confuse me, but I know a good negative when I see one!) I certainly can not use my negs for silver gelatin printing!
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China