Thread: Epson V800 Scanner Technical Question

Epson V800 Scanner Technical Question

As far as I understand it, light from the lED's in the lid shine through the negative and the sensor under the scanner glass scans the negative.

This is the setup I use for dry scanning but have a question.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	scanner.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	30.7 KB 
ID:	164157

I place the negative onto the Epson Wet Mount holder and then place a piece of framers anti-glare glass on top to keep the negative flat. I use anti glare glass to stop newton rings.

I have had to replace the framers glass but the one which has been sent is etched on both sides.

Although everything appears to be working normally again, I just don't have enough knowledge on the working of scanners to understand if using glass etched on both sides is going to degrade the scan in any way.
    In theory, what I have done is introduce etched glass under the light source.

Re: Epson V800 Scanner Technical Question

Your going to see the texture of the etched glass in your scans. So thats NOT good.

If your not going to actually wet mount then just use the the regular film holders.
    Zak Baker
    zakbaker.photo

"Sometimes I do get to places just when God's ready to have somebody click the shutter."
    Ansel Adams

I think it will probably work. It's just adding slightly more diffusion of the light source. All that said, the best results with flatbeds is to find the optimal height above the platen for focus. On my v750, the best height is about 1mm above the platen when using the "scan with film holder setting" in Epsonscan. (It's best right on the platen with the "scan with area guide" setting which uses a different lens). So what I do is tape the 4x5 negs to the dull side of a sheet of ANR glass, emulsion side to glass, then suspend that glass, film side down, over the platen on felt spacers.

Your going to see the texture of the etched glass in your scans. So thats NOT good.
    So far I haven't seen any texture

On my v750, the best height is about 1mm above the platen when using the "scan with film holder setting" in Epsonscan.
    I think 3mm is my optimal height above platen, the glass is 2mm thick so I coould shim it up 1mm and try taping to the glass