Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Imacon Precision III 4x10 Film Scanning

Imacon Precision III 4x10 Film Scanning

I need to scan 4x10 film and am hoping to use my Precision III scanner. I am thinking that I can use a 4x6 film holder (I could also get a longer custom holder if more overlap would be better), scan the film twice, once from each end and then stitch the scans in Photoshop. Is this workable? Am I missing anything? I thought I'd ask the hive mind before I start buying film holders.

Re: Imacon Precision III 4x10 Film Scanning

yes as long as you do not change any settings I see why this would not work, I do this with oversize art pieces on the Creo.

Thanks Bob, that's just what I wanted to hear.

Will a 4x6 film holder give enough overlap between the 2 scans for Photoshop to work its magic, or should I go with a longer one? The scanner supports up to 7 inches.

As long as you have overlap you should be okay I am not huge into stitching other than the few we do, others here could answer much better the amount of overlap, I usually use a lot but I do not think its a requirement.

That should be enough overlap as long as there is good detail in the overlap areas.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 67
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

It turns out that there is a possibility that I can get a custom 4x10 holder made. If that can be done, obviously it would be the simplest solution. If not, I will go with a 4x6 holder and stitching. I'll report back when I know more.

There is a seller on the auction site sells custom made imacon holders and I do remember seeing 4x10 being available. I have ordered from them before, the quality is good but it just takes forever to receive it (almost 5 weeks)

I have had a 6x17 and an xpan custom holder from the ebay guy - good quality, basically no real difference to the official holders. Don't particularly remember them taking too long to arrive either. If I was a 4x10 shooter then a custom holder from the same source would be my first port of call.

I contacted the seller on ebay and he can indeed make a 4x10 holder. I will order it today. I had no idea that an Imacon could handle 10 inch film—I'm a happy guy!

Wondering how did the 4x10 Imacon holder turn out - both in terms of the quality of the holder and the process of scanning/stitching?