Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Should I feel guilty about buying a Shen-hao

Should I feel guilty about buying a Shen-hao

I'm planning on purchasing a Shen-hao field camera to replace my monorail. Now, I've always heard, "Buy American" to support the economy or something. While I don't really concern myself too much with the American economy, I know some folks do. Thus, I usually try to buy American products when they are comparable to whatever the foreign choices may be. Up to this point, I haven't really had to even consider this for my photography hobby since most everything I've bought up to this point either was used or, if imported, unique (i.e., there is no American equivalent). But I understand there are some reasonably priced, American-made field cameras available (Wisner?). Anybody want to 'weigh in' on this?

I think that triple the price is not comparable. If you could get a Honda for $20000 and a Pontiac cost $60000, you know what you would be buying. If Tachihara were made in the US I could see buying that over a Shen Hao. As is, if there is a perfectly good $600 camera that does everything you want I see no reason to spend $1500+. That said, my wife buys rediculously priced "fairtrade" coffee.

Stuck inside of Tucson with the Neverland Blues again...

Much of China still runs under the sweatshop economic system. I don't know about the Shen-Hao factory, but I doubt any fantasies of the camera being made by old-world craftsmen making a reasonable wage would be true. The little shops that turn out lf cameras in Europe and America are generally owner-operated. I like the idea of supporting that.

Depends, I guess, if you believe in the camera carrying the kharma of its origins, and if you think or care about that sort of thing while photographing...
    "I love my Verito lens, but I always have to sharpen everything in Photoshop..."

If it'll make you feel better, you can buy my Shen-Hao 4x5. I've switched to Speed Graphics because they suit my shooting style much better and after much soul (and wallet) searching, I have decided to put my teak beauty up for auction rather than let it sit in the bag forever idle.

I bought it from Badger Graphic, an American company, so that makes it two generations removed from its Chinese heritage by the time it gets to you. It's now as American as apple pie.

FWIW, when I bought the Shen-Hao, there were no American-made field cameras in the same league price-wise. I believe the cheapest was as least double the price, if not more. For me, that was a no-brainer. I spent that "leftover" money on film and paper, much of it in yellow boxes, from retailers in NYC, so I didn't have any reason to feel guilty at all.

Alan,
    Email me a price at symaz2@yahoo.com. I also live in the NY area.

I bought a Chinese wife. Slightly used but a hard worker, still tight and supple.

OF COURSE YOU SHOULD FEEL GUILTY !!!

I feel guilty every time I buy something I don't REALLY REALLY need (and misery loves company). Why should you be any different?

;-)

I purchased two cameras from Keith Canham in Arizona for several very important reasons that are critical in a free market economy. They are great ingenious products with low designed weight factored into the equation, I have met and talked with Keith about his cameras and know that he will stand behind his products el pronto (I have already tested this theorum and proved it to be 100% correct) and I know that I can always get parts and service in a jiffy should I ever need it. No hassles along the chain anywhere.

For those that find that they must purchase a less "expensive" alternative and are therefore considering the Shen Hao, then go for it. We are now in a global economy such that if a product can be made and brought into the market at a price point that many find attractive , then other makers must differentiate themselves to the customers or they will be out of business rather quickly. However, there is a twist to the economic equation. The reason that Ebony, Canham, Lotus, Linhof and Wisner (even with the hassle factor built in) and others get multiples more for their products is that they have a "quality" component built in that the Shen Hao is not designed to compete with and simply does not even try to.

I personally would rather pay more for a precision instrument that I know I can use for many years down the road without a need for concern that it will do its job day after day when needed. There can be no mistake that true quality comes at a price. I similarly recognize that many others are looking short term and the lowest possible price threshold not carring about any time frame longer than maybe a year or two. I get more than a little concerned about some of the quality issues I am hearing on forums about the Shen Hao, but I assume that these are being resolved by either the importer or the maker to everyone's satisfaction.

Made in America is a vestige of the old school. All I need to do is look at the various models of Ford automobiles I am seeing here in Germany or see the many McDonalds and other American cultural extensions to understand that business is integrated across the globe in more ways than we can imagine. What we as American's need to do is understand better is how we compete for those Euros that are being spent daily on consumables. Because that is what our competition across the globe is doing. Make no mistake about that.

Good Luck!

john, if you're looking for a class-leading wood folder that's made in the usa, look no further than the canham traditional. they are EXCELLENT cameras and made to the highest standard. i find them superior to even ebony cameras in not only finish but in design as well... the are many points where canham came up with a more elegant design, like having but one focusing knob to run the entire length of the rail.

Unless there is positive evidence that the Shen-Hao is sweatshop-produced, I would personally feel no guilt. The Chinese are very numerous, and they need jobs too. "Sweatshop" is also a relative term. Maybe some Chinese could scoff at Americans for not working hard enough, having two-week vacations, and generally being assisted by welfare state with strict labor regulations, like I sometimes read some Americans refering to Europeans.