Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Path Not Taken

Re: The Path Not Taken

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Wasserman View Post
    ...The owner very proudly asked her what she thought, and she replied "you're sick and need help"...
    lolol
    notch codes ? I only use one film...

Stuck inside of Tucson with the Neverland Blues again...

"It cleans, lubricates, and adjusts the Leica, or else it gets the hose again..."
    "I love my Verito lens, but I always have to sharpen everything in Photoshop..."

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Wasserman View Post
    Some are like that. I once had dinner with Sherry Krauter, who is one of the preeminent Leica repair people. She told me that she was invited to see a major private collection of Leica cameras. She was ushered into a darkened room, velvet curtains were pulled to the side, lights slowly came up revealing glass fronted cabinets on all 4 walls of the room. The owner very proudly asked her what she thought, and she replied "you're sick and need help". She did allow that there was some rare and fabulous stuff there, but the overall experience felt pretty weird.
    Bwahahaha! Sounds like a Sherry comment alright! Now, going back to my darkened room with glass cases full of lenses.

With LF even more than 35mm, it's common to find collectors that love the equipment, but don't use it. I talked to a guy the past few weeks that has several antique wooden cameras, complete. He's had them about 15 or 20 years as decorator items, never used them. But did serious photography back then, had a studio, published, etc. Just liked the history of the big ones. Nothing wrong with history.

I like to use what I collect of course. This weekend I used an early Lerebours et Secretan I hadn't touched in 4-5 years. But there it was, waiting patiently for it's next chance to make a photographer and subject happy. That's the difference, a collector makes one person happy. A user makes two.

Actually 3.

The current owner.

The person captured.

The next owner and there is always a next owner...

I would also hope for many happy viewers of the photos created through these collectors items.

Drew, didn't you once say that we are only caretakers of our cameras and lenses, for the next owner who has them? Or something like that.

I'd feel better if articles in a collection would have a chance to be used by their next owners/caretakers.

Foamer

Quote Originally Posted by David Lobato View Post
    Drew, didn't you once say that we are only caretakers of our cameras and lenses, for the next owner who has them? Or something like that.

That's the way I feel about my historical stuff. Modern Nikon digital equipment, not so much.

Kent in SD
    In contento ed allegria
    Notte e di vogliam passar!

I wonder what our grandchildren and great-grandchildren will be collecting.

Having just read "Revenge of Analog : Real Things and Why They Matter" by David Sax, it's clear that more and more people are recognizing the personal enjoyment analog provides and what digital doesn't.

It has to make you ask where we go from here though. The cameras made today are more akin to computers - constantly replaced with the latest and greatest upgrades (ever try to sell your 286 or Pentium II?). Lenses are built for the camera system they're being used on with focus-by- wire and in-camera software compensation for lens shortcomings - you can't even fully test the lens on the optical bench without the camera and software attached. Somebody once said you can focus a pop bottle if you know the math and I think more and more companies are going that route to cut costs and size.

I wonder what the collectible from this digital era will be? Maybe it will come down to what you can still get a battery for.