Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lenses W H Jackson used in the 1800s?

Re: Lenses W H Jackson used in the 1800s?

The "lens"on the low/large camera on the middle right - well, I don't think it is a lens. The brass flange is quite clear and and much lighter in colour than the "lens". The area looks very dusty to me, and the sensible photographer would have packed his lens away in a dust free place. As the format is pretty large, the only adequate lens which would fit into the smallish flange at this time is an early wide angle rr type or, if he was a traditionalist, a landscape meniscus.

just read the following:
    "No shutters were employed, all exposures were by cap. In my landscape work I usually stopped down to about f/32 with an average exposure on a bright, clear day of 10 to 15 seconds. (5 seconds in absence of near foliage) - more or less according to the condition of the collodion and the silver bath. A rather new but "ripe" collodion and a new, nearly neutral silver bath gave me the maximum results. On a well lighted subject at f/8 "instantaneous" exposures could be made with the primitive drop shutter." quote from Jackson. page 310 PHOTOGRAPHY AND THE AMERICAN SCENE by Robert Taft.

Looks like a lens with lenscap to me. On closer inspection (I zoomed it in), it looks like a can type lens with a waterhouse slot perhaps. The bag lens cover would work well on the straight walls with no hood of that type. Who knows, it's not clear enough?

But the F8 being listed is a clue. That was probably wide open for their fastest exposures. An F8 being a Rapid Rectilinear. One that size physically would cover that large camera plate.

Foamer

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    just read the following:
    I usually stopped down to about f/32 with an average exposure on a bright, clear day of 10 to 15 seconds. (5 seconds in absence of near foliage) - .... On a well lighted subject at f/8 "instantaneous" exposures could be made with the primitive drop shutter." quote from Jackson. page 310 PHOTOGRAPHY AND THE AMERICAN SCENE by Robert Taft.

So, what ISO does that work out to be? f16 and 5s = ISO what? ISO 5? As for drop shutter, I'm assuming something like 1/30s. So 1/30s & f8 = ISO what? ISO 15 using Sunny 16 here?

Kent in SD
    In contento ed allegria
    Notte e di vogliam passar!

Here is another good one.

Quote Originally Posted by goamules View Post
    Looks like a lens with lenscap to me. On closer inspection (I zoomed it in), it looks like a can type lens with a waterhouse slot perhaps. The bag lens cover would work well on the straight walls with no hood of that type. Who knows, it's not clear enough?

But the F8 being listed is a clue. That was probably wide open for their fastest exposures. An F8 being a Rapid Rectilinear. One that size physically would cover that large camera plate.

Probably a "Worsching Gegenlichtalende" (combination lens hood and cap). Edward Weston also used them.
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)

If you want to see actual WH Jackson prints up-close and personal, visit the Library of Congress' Prints and Photographs Division. They are very friendly there, a technician will bring you the prints you request from the online catalog. His mammoth plate prints are quite spectacular.

Oh, and if you come to DC we can get together and I'll buy the first round!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	flap.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	33.5 KB 
ID:	162255Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sh15 (1).JPG 
Views:	13 
Size:	17.3 KB 
ID:	162256

Antique & Classic Camera Blog
    www.antiquecameras.net/blog.html

Thanks for a look at the Worsching apparatus, Dan. It matches the outline in the photo perfectly.