Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Platinum printing demo - my new video!

Re: Platinum printing demo - my new video!

Quote Originally Posted by Willie View Post
    The video makes it look like you spend a lot of time brushing the surface of the paper during coating. If so, do you get raised fibres or an abraded surface from it?
    Hi Willie, less brushing is best. I may have been a little anxious for this print, but I try to brush "just enough" and not more. I'm using Hahnemühle paper as mentioned in the video, and always use a little tween. I have not had raised fibers or an abraded surface from brushing, but I would avoid using a squeegee on the wet print. Also, I don't normally use a dryer on the paper, but I was trying to minimize photo studio time.

Quote Originally Posted by Willie View Post
    Nice image and a clean presentation. You might give a shout out to Bostick & Sullivan for the chemistry and whomever you purchase your paper from - as well as what paper you find works best for you.
    Thank you. I mention both B&S and Hahnemühle in the YouTube notes. I buy my paper from a local photo dealer, Pro Photo Supply. Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    Thank you

Why were the sizes of the final print and the mat?

Your print size, mat size, and frame size work together quite well. I usually opt for using thinner black frames, but now have to consider using wider black frames after seeing you final frames photograph.

Greg
    Hi Greg, my print is 8x10" on 11x15" paper. The mat is 8-ply, and the frame is 15x17".

I greatly enjoyed watching your video, Paul! It's very clear, concise and well-made, a joy to watch! The final print looks amazing as well.

I noticed you have a very nice timer module built into your UV printer. It's exactly the kind of timer I've been looking for, but have failed to find so far. Can you share some details on it?

Nice Video Paul - I am very happy to see many others printing alternative processes.

Very much interested in your light box if you don't mind going deeper into that as I need a new exposing unit and was thinking LED.

Quote Originally Posted by koraks View Post
    I greatly enjoyed watching your video, Paul! It's very clear, concise and well-made, a joy to watch! The final print looks amazing as well.

I noticed you have a very nice timer module built into your UV printer. It's exactly the kind of timer I've been looking for, but have failed to find so far. Can you share some details on it?
    Hi Koraks, thank you. They are less than $10. I tried to find one in the States, but ordered it from China (via eBay). I like this one because it has a case, even though the relay sticks up out of it. I was going to put somekind of a logo sticker on it, but I guess I forgot. Since they aren't available here I probably should have ordered two, one for backup, just in case.

Here is an ebay link http://www.ebay.com/sch/sis.html?_nk...72.m2749.l2658 that you can try.

Quote Originally Posted by bob carnie View Post
    Nice Video Paul - I am very happy to see many others printing alternative processes.

Very much interested in your light box if you don't mind going deeper into that as I need a new exposing unit and was thinking LED.
    Hi Bob, I don't mind a couple of questions, but if you want a complete parts list and dimensions then we have to trade for something, like one of your platinum prints. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Cunningham View Post
    Hi Bob, I don't mind a couple of questions, but if you want a complete parts list and dimensions then we have to trade for something, like one of your platinum prints. :-)
    I am open to negotiations Paul

Pit panel in an appropriate box.
    "Sex is like maths, add the bed, subtract the clothes, divide the whoo hoo and hope you don't multiply." - Leather jacket guy

http://www.spiritsofsilver.com tgtaylor's Avatar

The commonplace sun is a far superior exposure unit:

1. It's a continuous source of UV radiation - i.e., not made up of discrete bulb sources.

2. By doing the bulk of the exposure in the shade before finishing it off for a few seconds in direct sunlight, you maximize the detail potential while keeping the paper cool. The latter is important because a buildup of heat can melt the emulsion onto the negative.

3. You can dodge and burn during the exposure if needed.

4. It's free - you can't get any cheaper than that.

Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by tgtaylor View Post
    The commonplace sun is a far superior exposure unit:
    Thomas
    Reliability and consistency are my issues with the sun. Especially at this time of year in Portland, Oregon. You can't beat the price, as long as you have the patience.