Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Platinum printing demo - my new video!

http://www.spiritsofsilver.com tgtaylor's Avatar

Re: Platinum printing demo - my new video!

Although I haven't made a platinum print to date - I've been meaning to - but I would have to disagree with you last paragraph. I don't live in the Desert SW and have been printing kallitypes now for over a year in open sun, shade, overcast in all seasons without a problem.

As you know the kallitype requires an image that is closer to a latent image than a POP image very similar to a platinum print. James describes the kallitype image as being a "stage whisper" whereas he describes the platinum image as a "very faint image...This means that the image is simply undistinguished, a little more than latent, and a hint of what you are hoping for following the development stage." I think than my method of doing the bulk of the exposure in the shade would work best for platinum as the exposure time slows down in the shade allowing you the check on the print as it progresses. Incidentally James believes that the sun is the best exposure source although you would need a light-box for printing at night or in overcast. I disagree with the latter conclusion as mentioned above I have printed under completely overcast sky.

Thomas

"Incidentally James believes that the sun is the best exposure source although you would need a light-box for printing at night or in overcast. I disagree with the latter conclusion as mentioned above I have printed under completely overcast sky."

It was not my intention to suggest that you could not print under completely overcast sky. You can of course, but your exposure times with completely overcast sky will be very different (longer) than when printing in direct sun, or in the shade on sunny days.

My point was merely to suggest that exposure times vary greatly when printing outside, and you will have to spend a lot of money testing for the right exposure with pt/pd. You can certainly do it if you want to, but I believe it will be a lot more expensive in the long run than to just bite the bullet and buy an artificial light that you can calibrate for pt/pd printing. But it is your money and time so just enjoy what you do.

Sandy
    For discussion and information about carbon transfer please visit the carbon group at groups.io
    [url]https://groups.io/g/carbon

I understand that if you like to check a print during exposure the Ziatype Palladium/Platinum prints work this way. Have seen some that really have good color and deep shadows and look very good.
    ” Never attribute to inspiration that which can be adequately explained by delusion”.