Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Packing a 4x5 on a bicycle

Packing a 4x5 on a bicycle

I know this was taken up in the past but I'm still trying to decide.

I finally put together my touring bike (a Surly Disc Trucker). Here in the Philippines there are a lot of places that you can get to on a bicycle than in a car, plus you can easily stop on the side with your bike and photograph on the spot as opposed to parking and walking. So my choices for carrying a 4x5 would be panniers (like an Arkel Signature V), a porteur bag (like Surly Porteur House), or strap a photo bag (like the lowepro Magnum 650 AW) on the rack.

All three have their pros and cons so I was wondering what you guys think or suggest.

Thanks in advance!

Re: Packing a 4x5 on a bicycle

I think I've tried each and every option for hauling camera bags on racks. They really all work just fine for a reasonably sized 4x5 camera. My vote would be for panniers though, these give you the most room typically and even make it possible to bikepack an 8x10 camera if you ever had the inclination. A pannier also gives you more room for camping equipment if you wanted to do a bike camping trip. With a pannier you have the added benefit of the top of the rear rack being free and you can strap your tripod to that (better if it's a compact model tripod or it sticks out a bit much).

Thanks. Your comment was really helpful!

I was originally leaning towards the porteur bag but they say that it really does affect the handling of the bike.

This applies to my experiences on trail riding and not for touring on paved roads. I strapped a Pelican case with padded inserts to the back of my bike. Unfortunately after a while vibrations transmitted to the case and through the added inserts started to loosen up parts of my camera. I tried to figure out some type of "suspension" to carry the case in, but gave up after rigging up one... the case, not being solidly secured to the frame "bounced" around affecting the bike's handling. Finally went with carrying my equipment in a f/64 backpack. Tripod, food, etc. ride on the back of the bike since they are not effected by vibration. Only down side was that my center off gravity was higher off the ground but easily adapted to that.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    This applies to my experiences on trail riding and not for touring on paved roads. I strapped a Pelican case with padded inserts to the back of my bike. Unfortunately after a while vibrations transmitted to the case and through the added inserts started to loosen up parts of my camera. I tried to figure out some type of "suspension" to carry the case in, but gave up after rigging up one... the case, not being solidly secured to the frame "bounced" around affecting the bike's handling. Finally went with carrying my equipment in a f/64 backpack. Tripod, food, etc. ride on the back of the bike since they are not effected by vibration. Only down side was that my center off gravity was higher off the ground but easily adapted to that.
    Greg, the f64 was on your back? Was it difficult?

My biggest concern is usually the tripod. My 4x5" Tachihara plus lenses and holders easily travels in a messenger bag over my shoulder, but the tripod is usually too long to fasten it comfortably to my bike. I now use a small Manfrotto 190 that can't lift the camera to eye height, but can be mounted to the carrier or to the frame of the bike.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael E View Post
    My biggest concern is usually the tripod. My 4x5" Tachihara plus lenses and holders easily travels in a messenger bag over my shoulder, but the tripod is usually too long to fasten it comfortably to my bike. I now use a small Manfrotto 190 that can't lift the camera to eye height, but can be mounted to the carrier or to the frame of the bike.
    My worry about carrying a bag on my shoulder or back is it eventually weighs you down...does that happen to you?

I've never used it for large format but I certainly could, this is my solution for packing 30 pounds of DSLR gear, water, etc. when photographing motorcycle racing.

The front basket is 14x9x10 inches, is easily and quickly detachable and I also have a 16x9x13 basket that will fit on the rear rack in place of the case, if I need it.

Quote Originally Posted by macolive View Post
    Greg, the f64 was on your back? Was it difficult?
    Although I'll be hitting 70 this year, I have always been active biking, hiking, and rock climbing. And from around 1988 till maybe 5 years ago used to cover outdoor events for Riverfront Recapture (Riverfront.org) which involved long event shootings, all with a Lowe backpack on my back holding way too much photo equipment. After some time you forget that your carrying all the equipment on your back, till you try to weave through a crowd. So... I easily adapted to biking with the f/64 on my back.

Easy... no

Do I suggest going this route? Well definitely not for everyone.

Secret is carrying the f/64 backpack tightly on your back.

Quote Originally Posted by scm View Post
    I've never used it for large format but I certainly could, this is my solution for packing 30 pounds of DSLR gear, water, etc. when photographing motorcycle racing.

The front basket is 14x9x10 inches, is easily and quickly detachable and I also have a 16x9x13 basket that will fit on the rear rack in place of the case, if I need it.
    Nice! I thought about Wald Baskets as well. I guess the only way to really figure it out is to just go ahead and try something and see how it works. I think I'll start with the panniers, that way, if it doesn't work out, I can still use them for other things.