Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Custom made film sleeve

Custom made film sleeve

sorry for the misinformation--- guess I shouldn't post so early in the morning when the memory switch is off ;-)
    must have said polypropylene...

Custom made film sleeve

Just a bit of info which might be interesting for You: For years, I have custom-made my own "odd" sleeves when ordinary single or 4x 4"x5" or 3 strips 120-film did not fill he bill. Using either Vue-all 8"x10" sleeves from Freestyle, or a hideously large roll of 70mm sleeving from ebay, I have used this material for customizing 6x17 cm, 70mm-singles or strips, single 6x7cm sleeves, double or single 5"x7" sleeves etc. I use a common available bag-sealer (a hot-iron melting seams of plastic together) to make the seams. Sealing process about 3 seconds each seam. I bought the bag-sealer second hand & cheap, but probably is not any expensive device. ordinary 230V (Europe) and built-in adjustable timer (1 to 10 seconds or so) for making correct seal on different types & gauges of plastic. May be a cheaper alternative than having to buy 5000 custom made sleeves...

Custom made film sleeve

Hello Ken! I have no spesial knowledge on plastic types, but I have used the sealer on the poypropylen sleeves from Freestyle (I belive the roll of 70mm sleeve I have is also PP) and I have re-used the acatat-like (i.e. a "harder plastic/more brittle than PP) sleeves that I get lab-developed 120 film in to make small single-pockets for 6x4,5 neg's. This types have worked excellent in the machine = good & strong seams. Apart from having to change heat-time to get correct seal (to much = holes, too little = seams go apart) depending on gauge & plastic type , the types I have tried all seals nicely together as I am shure the PVC (?) freezer bags will also. I live in Norway = probably on the other side of the pond from You, but feel free to send me a letter with samples of material for testing, and I will try to make seams on the material & return to you - will only be letter postage. Email me for address if interested.