Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Chamonix bellows not IR proof - Solution?

Re: Chamonix bellows not IR proof - Solution?

Quote Originally Posted by tgtaylor View Post
    Rodfjell,

Is the Roc-Lon Blackout fabric completely lightproof? I'm considering it for blocking outside light from coming through a large window in my "darkroom." What color did you get?

Thanks,

Thomas
    My solution for a window is very redneck-looking, but it's the laundry room so it doesn't matter. Being a bit of a packrat, I had several bags from paper, so just gaffer taped up as many as I needed to cover the window. I may also have used some black plastic blackout I got from B&H (which seemed to be just the same as the bags from the paper).

http://www.spiritsofsilver.com tgtaylor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rodfjell View Post
    It is advertised as "100% light proof" so I believe it to be so. I got white. It's the same fabric that hotels use for their curtains. I'd use it in my darkroom if I needed to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Thanks - I'm going to try it.

Winger - I currently am taping 4mil black contractor trash bags to the window. It works but its labor intensive and uses a lot of tape. Going to try building a curtain rod and have a piece cut to catch the spill from the top.

Thomas

Chamonix bellows not IR proof - Solution?

So I did a test this weekend where I pulled the dark slide out halfway when attached to the camera in broad daylight for 3 minutes and developed it. I also took a few more shots of various scenes and lighting without covering the bellows. The results were difficult to gauge. I won't post them because they are inconclusive.

So sometime in the next weekend I'll do a new test:

Photo 1 will be in broad daylight with the dark slide out for 5 minutes and the bellows not covered.

Photo 2 will be the same but with the dark slide out for less than 20 seconds.

Photo 3 will be with the bellows covered and the dark slide out for 5 minutes.

Photo 4 will be with the bellows covered and the dark slide out for less than 20 seconds.

All shots will be on Rollei IR 400 and a Hoya R72 filter.

Last edited by Rodfjell; 28-Feb-2017 at 12:06.

So another week has passed and I haven't posted the results. I haven't forgotten about this though. The weather here in Southern Louisiana is very unpredictable. We've had rain and cloudy days for a while now. I'll try for sometime before next Sunday to do the test.

I've used blackout cloth from a fabric store as a bellows for an 8x10 camera, it works for that application and it makes an o.k. dark cloth for composing photos, too. Don't know as to it's IR proof-ness. Don't have any way to test it. Aluminum foil also works for windows, though it is pretty ugly looking. I used it to block out basement window well windows which were hard to see from the street so my wife never objected.

So the sun finally came out to play and I did the test with Rollei IR 400. Photos are located at http://imgur.com/a/C5jpU.

My conclusion is that the bellows is sufficiently IR proof.

The sun was behind a cloud in Photo 1 so that's why it's not as contrasty as the other three. On photo 4, I don't know what that line is but it's most definitely not fogging - I didn't care about being delicate during loading & processing.

Thanks for reporting, a convincing answer !

best,

Cor
    Quote Originally Posted by Rodfjell View Post
    So the sun finally came out to play and I did the test with Rollei IR 400. Photos are located at http://imgur.com/a/C5jpU.

My conclusion is that the bellows is sufficiently IR proof.

The sun was behind a cloud in Photo 1 so that's why it's not as contrasty as the other three. On photo 4, I don't know what that line is but it's most definitely not fogging - I didn't care about being delicate during loading & processing.

Thank you so much for taking the time to do that test ... very helpful to me and I am sure to many others!