Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chamonix bellows not IR proof - Solution?

Chamonix bellows not IR proof - Solution?

So I have a problem: My fiancee wants to keep shooting Rollei IR 400 film but we recently moved on to a Chamonix 045N-2 which doesn't have an IR proof bellows.

We don't want to get a new bellows - Hugo hooked us up with the red bellows from the 045N-1 and it looks great.

So I know many people use Chamonix cameras with the standard bellows. What's y'alls solutions?

I was thinking of going to JoAnn's and buying some Roc-Lon Blackout fabric and fashioning it into a dark cloth that I can drape the bellows in. It's said to be 100% light proof but is that just visible light?

I'd love y'alls thoughts on this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re: Chamonix bellows not IR proof - Solution?

The 4 mil black plastic that lumber yards sell is ir proof up to about 16 or 1800nm. Way above the sensitivity of the film. A boot that covers the bellows might look kinda redneck, but such is expediency!

Chamonix bellows not IR proof - Solution?

Thanks for the info! I'm gonna test out the Roc-Lon fabric in New Orleans today. I'll let y'all know how it works out.

Last edited by Rodfjell; 18-Feb-2017 at 20:38.

The Roc-Lon Blackout fabric seemed to have worked just fine. I didn't do a test by pulling the dark slide half out for a minute and developing that sheet but for practical purposes it worked.

As you may notice though, the dark cloth was in the shot in the top left of the picture. I'll probably add velcro or magnets to be more precise with its coverage.

The advice here is solid gold! Thanks.

My extremely defensive approach to shooting IR began when Kodak's LF IR was available. That film had enormous sensitivity, and I used a Printex 4x5 camera that had a steel cylinder which extended in place of a bellows. I still have a few of the cameras, and some Kodak 4x5 IR film in the freezer which is likely no good by now.

If you want total bullet-proof IR LF photography look to Printex cameras. Lens focal lengths are constrained with the model, however I modified one for a 75mm W/A.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	printex-mod.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	61.1 KB 
ID:	161575

Is it really a confirmed fact that the Chamonix bellows are not IR proof ? the Rollei film does not "see" very far into the IR wavelengths. Nor does the MACO/Efke film do, which I use regularly in combination with bellows from Rudy (Ecbuyonline ?) without a problem. There have been reports that his bellows were not IR proof, although you can never rule out the fact that he might have changed from bellow fabric supplier..

best,

Cor

Quote Originally Posted by Cor View Post
    Is it really a confirmed fact that the Chamonix bellows are not IR proof ?
    Hugo Zhang, the US distributor for Chamonix, told me directly that the bellows is not IR proof. It's also been covered before across the internet for almost a decade.

Now, the fabric used for the bellows may be different nowadays which would warrant new testing.

I'll sacrifice a sheet of 4x5 Rollei IR 400 this weekend for the cause and post the scan to this thread.

Ok, clear, thanks for the follow up, I am curious to see the result !

best,

Cor
    Quote Originally Posted by Rodfjell View Post
    Hugo Zhang, the US distributor for Chamonix, told me directly that the bellows is not IR proof. It's also been covered before across the internet for almost a decade.

Now, the fabric used for the bellows may be different nowadays which would warrant new testing.

I'll sacrifice a sheet of 4x5 Rollei IR 400 this weekend for the cause and post the scan to this thread.

http://www.spiritsofsilver.com tgtaylor's Avatar

Rodfjell,

Is the Roc-Lon Blackout fabric completely lightproof? I'm considering it for blocking outside light from coming through a large window in my "darkroom." What color did you get?

Thanks,

Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by tgtaylor View Post
    Rodfjell,

Is the Roc-Lon Blackout fabric completely lightproof? I'm considering it for blocking outside light from coming through a large window in my "darkroom." What color did you get?

Thanks,

Thomas
    It is advertised as "100% light proof" so I believe it to be so. I got white. It's the same fabric that hotels use for their curtains. I'd use it in my darkroom if I needed to.