Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to put a barrel lens in a shutter

How to put a barrel lens in a shutter

Just wrote up a blog post on "How to put a barrel lens in a shutter". Any constructive criticism would be much appreciated so I can improve it with the knowledge accumulated in the forum. Hadn't seen anything like this in one place so I thought I'd write up what I've learned to date on the subject.

Re: How to put a barrel lens in a shutter

Gus, it is a start. I like your comments on the economics.

You missed the way I've hung a number of lenses in front of a shutter. They go into cup-shaped adapters that screw into the front of a standard shutter. Price of the adapter from SKGrimes depends on size. If sharing an adapter between several lenses isn't possible the economics are usually terrible.

About mounting a lens on a board and attaching a shutter in front of the lens. I did this with a Compound #5 and a 900/10 Apo-Saphir. The shutter isn't strong enough to support the lens and anyway if the shutter were in front of the lens the shutter controls would be inaccessible. Big fat lenses need special treatment.

Packards and the various Sinar shutters aren't the only behind-the-lens shutters around. There's a variety of roller blind shutters -- Thornton-Pickard is probably the best-known brand -- and there are also Mentor shutters. Last summer I saw a 16x20 camera with a shutter taken from, IIRC, a Mentor Studio. Its owner remarked that demand for shutters for ULF cameras was driving up the price of Mentor Studios. Surgery on a Speed Graphic is also possible.

And because you didn't go far into front-mounting you didn't mention vignetting. This can be a problem, should always be thought about.

See my lens diary http://www.galerie-photo.com/telecha...2011-03-29.pdf and my account of my failed Baby Bertha http://www.galerie-photo.com/baby-bertha-6x9-en.html for better explanations and discussion. See especially what I had done to make a short lens usable.

Option 2

Most medium and smaller post WW2 lens cells were.......... In addition, many earlier lens cells were designed to fit the first generation of compur and similar shutters.

Apart from the t-p mentioned in the last post, there is a very large range of later front mounted European leaf shutters with limited speed variation and a development of the t-p in metal finish which is specifically desgned for front mounting with curtain adjustment.

The Sinar-copal can be installed behind any large format front standard, if the bellows is larger than the dimensions of the shutter. The bellows can be unscrewed/unglued and fixed to a plate. This plate can be connected to the front standard, or to a Copal-Sinar which is attached to the front standard.

This is great info. I'd try and llearn more about the cups.
    Best, Angus

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fromm View Post
    Gus, it is a start. I like your comments on the economics.

You missed the way I've hung a number of lenses in front of a shutter. They go into cup-shaped adapters that screw into the front of a standard shutter. Price of the adapter from SKGrimes depends on size. If sharing an adapter between several lenses isn't possible the economics are usually terrible.

About mounting a lens on a board and attaching a shutter in front of the lens. I did this with a Compound #5 and a 900/10 Apo-Saphir. The shutter isn't strong enough to support the lens and anyway if the shutter were in front of the lens the shutter controls would be inaccessible. Big fat lenses need special treatment.

Packards and the various Sinar shutters aren't the only behind-the-lens shutters around. There's a variety of roller blind shutters -- Thornton-Pickard is probably the best-known brand -- and there are also Mentor shutters. Last summer I saw a 16x20 camera with a shutter taken from, IIRC, a Mentor Studio. Its owner remarked that demand for shutters for ULF cameras was driving up the price of Mentor Studios. Surgery on a Speed Graphic is also possible.

And because you didn't go far into front-mounting you didn't mention vignetting. This can be a problem, should always be thought about.

See my lens diary http://www.galerie-photo.com/telecha...2011-03-29.pdf and my account of my failed Baby Bertha http://www.galerie-photo.com/baby-bertha-6x9-en.html for better explanations and discussion. See especially what I had done to make a short lens usable.

Great, I'll make that clearer. Best, Angus

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Tribe View Post
    Option 2

Most medium and smaller post WW2 lens cells were.......... In addition, many earlier lens cells were designed to fit the first generation of compur and similar shutters.

Apart from the t-p mentioned in the last post, there is a very large range of later front mounted European leaf shutters with limited speed variation and a development of the t-p in metal finish which is specifically desgned for front mounting with curtain adjustment.

The Sinar-copal can be installed behind any large format front standard, if the bellows is larger than the dimensions of the shutter. The bellows can be unscrewed/unglued and fixed to a plate. This plate can be connected to the front standard, or to a Copal-Sinar which is attached to the front standard.

I mostly use barrel lenses. My usual choice is to use a speed graphic so I can have a focal plane shutter. A graflex slr is also an option, but really limits the focal lengths and lens options due to less focusing range and some mirror clearance issues.

Flash sync is also a consideration for some users. In those cases, the sinar shutter is a good option and some packards have that too.

I send them to SKG and they come back beautifully mounted!!

So true!
    Quote Originally Posted by Luis-F-S View Post
    I send them to SKG and they come back beautifully mounted!!

Thornton Picard shutter? I don't think any were ever made big enough for lenses bigger than about 300mm f8. However, it might be possible to make one big enough using blackout cloth for draperies. If you aren't familiar with them, but have ever accidentally had a roller blind get away and rapidly go all the way to the top of a window, you know more/less how they work. In the camera application, the roller blind is opaque and has a hole in it allows light thru as it goes by. By changing the spring tension these had some variability in shutter speeds, but I doubt they were more than 1/30th. I could also imagine how with conductive paint and some phosphor bronze wipers you could even have flash synch.

The classic T-P design involved a thin, removable, lens board in front which was fixed to a particular lens. Later, the same curtain system with speeds of up to about 1/90 sec was mounted in a more secure box design with adjustable mounts for a range of lens hood diameters. Superb system for heavy Petzvals and big aplanats. A lot of these are of no-name manufacture.

Photos show the same front shutter on the first 3 Petzvals I fished out this morning!

External hood diameters are from 9-11.5 cm.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image.jpg   image.jpg   image.jpg