Thread: Age of Kodak model B 10x8

Age of Kodak model B 10x8

Hi all

I have just bought a 10x8 Kodak model B which seems to have a serial number of 895 embossed into the wood below the ground glass
    the name plate on the front says made in England by Kodak London WC2

Apparently the camera belonged to Donald Webb who apart from being a theater/glamour photographer also served as a gunner on the Dambusters raids

dose anybody have an Idea of the age ?

thanks

robin
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_8820.jpg  

Re: Age of Kodak model B 10x8

Kodak (UK) were based at Kingsway W.C.2 for many years pre- and post- WW2. They produced a very nice book each year on "Professional Photographic Apparatus and...... Materials" and I am the owner of the 1934 edition.

At this stage, they produced a 1/2 plate, a full plate and the 10x8" models. The illustration seems to show the D (dark) model, whilst yours appears to be the mahogany finish version. So probably earlier than 1934 - some one will know.

The "Kingsway" organisation also produced a similar series for special purposes (markets) for medical, scientific and forensic imaging.

I have never had one of these, but they are very popular and generally have aged very well making them still good users.

Well it's not listed in the 2 BJP Almancs I've looked at so far. What I can say is Kodak Ltd's main London address was 57-61 Clerkenwell Road EC in 1910 so it's later than that, and Kigsway WC2 by 1924. But the Kingsway address which they moved to in 1911 was originally WC, the postal district WC2 was only created in 1917. So that most likely means it's a post WWI camera.

I'll look in some other BJPA's which are in my Darkroom also some Kodak Professional Catalogues.

Just looked and nothing listed in Kodak's BJPA adverts, the first BLPA advert for a vaguely similar camera is the Clinical camera in 1933, as Steven has a catalogue with a later camera in 1934 it's most likely made between 1919 &1934.

The clinical cameras were essentially the same as the half plate View Cameras with some additional features, special filter holder and lens hood, long lever mechanism for stopping down the lens (always the 203 f7.7 Anastigmat dialyte- Ektar when coated - for up to 1:1 close up work), a bellows view finder hood, and a special tripod attachment for Vertical use,

Ian
    Last edited by IanG; 16-Feb-2017 at 05:39. Reason: add

Here is a picture of the whole camera

note it has tilt on the front standard that my friends 2d dose not have
    oh and a nice 42cm Heliar

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8803.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	71.9 KB 
ID:	161282

Just a fly in the ointment it appears the "B" was still being made in the 1940's and is identical to the cameras in my 1940 Kodak Professional catalogue and are described as mahogany with a base of seasoned maple, with lacquered brass fitting. I've seen Ebonised versions with plated fittings as well.

The 1933 BJPA shows quite a different Kodak Clinical camera, a British style tailboard camera more like a Watson, However the later Clinical camera based on the Model B is a US style camera including the fittings, the front standard is no linger fixed.

Your 10x8 camera is illustrated in my 1940 Kodak Catalogue Robin, maybe Steven can give you details from his 1934 catalogue. I'm beginning to think it's a far later camera than we first assumed maybe late 1930's that's based on looking at Eastman Kodak equivalents and the nearest is 1938.

BTW they cost £15 10s 0d in 1940 that's probably ex-Purchase Tax.

Ian

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Kodakview.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	99.6 KB 
ID:	161283

Here's the 1940 catalogue pages. Right click on it and open in new tab or window and you'll get a larger version.

Ian

Same illustration in the 1934 catalogue!
    Less text.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Tribe View Post
    Same illustration in the 1934 catalogue!
    Less text.
    So maybe introduced in 1934 then. It's more advanced than the 1930's US Eastman Kodak equivalent the 2D, as were the Clinical cameras.

Ian

that seems to be the one guys

thanks for spending the time looking thru your archives for me

best

robin