Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: You guys are a BAAAAD influence!!!!

You guys are a BAAAAD influence!!!!

As ya'll probably know, I started LF about a year ago by building a 4x5 camera, then another one, then a colour enlarger, then bought an old Seroco folder. My darkroom is all set up for 4x5 colour and B&W. Never had any intention of doing anything larger than 4x5! Lenses are TOOO expensive for 8x10.

Then I got into Tintypes and set up a hobby business doing Tintypes for Cowboy Action Shooters, both live sessions and doing Tintypes from digital files. I built light-tight drying chamber, portable darkroom, and so on and so on.

Well, I had a couple of enquiries asking if I could do 8x10 Tintypes and I told the customers 8x10 Tintypes would be EXPENSIVE! They were unphased.

Now I told you (as if you didn't know) that 8x10 lenses are expensive and I wasn't really interested in 8x10.

So, this morning, while trolling that auction site for some more 4x5 film holders, I stumble across an old wooden 8x10 of unknown ancestry, complete with a lens, that's of the right vintage for my Tintype work, and it's got a "buy it now" price that's less than what I'd expect to pay for an 8x10 lens. Sure, it's not a Deardrof, but Tintype portraits doen't require a fantastic camera or a flawless lens. Sooooooo, well . . . . I gave in to temptation.

You guys are a BAAAAAD influence!

Guess I had better go back and look for a couple of 8x10 holders . . . .

(Somebody PLEASE take away my VISA card!)

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7520672147

Abuser of God's Sunlight

according to the nice people on a musicians' message board that I visit sometimes, you've come down with a bad case of gas.
    Gear Acquisition Syndrome. and yes, it's contagious, and yes, everyone here should apologize for passing it to you.

It happens to all of us:-) Three years ago I got into LF with a cheap Crown 4x5, then I wanted more movements so I bought a Sinar F1, then I realized that it's hard to hike and backpack with that monorail, then I got a Technika III, didn't like the movements or the controls, then on to a wooden folder until finally I bought a new Canham metal. I thought that now I was all done buying LF photogear (I won't even go into the lenses I went through)

Then I found this old Korona 8x10 with lens on the auction site and I got really cheap and I thought - heck, it would be fun to restore it, make it look real nice and then just use it as a display item. Well ........ I bought one 8x10 holder ..... then chrome 8x10s ...... and wouldn't you know I convinced myseld that I could NOT live without an 8x10. So I kept shooting with the old Korona until one day I contemplated how much nicer and easier to use and more movements and smoother and........ a new 8x10 would be. I did my homework and bought this amazing Wehman 8x10 camera and this tiny Fuji 300C lens and I am as happy as a little kid in the candy store.

I am afraid now to look on the 8x10 and larger auction site. Wouldn't you know there are bigger formats out there and ......................................... Help, someone help me!

Juergen
    Juergen

Calamity,

Think how much better they would be in 11x14....

Steve

I was diagnosed with that GAS syndrome with 10X8. The treatment was for me to do plenty of exposing in the wild open spaces. I am almost cured, but have decided wholeheatedly to continuing the treatment just in case the urge returns...

Steve: PFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFTTTTTTT!!

(that's a "raspberry" in case you didn't know!)

Did you ever check out the little tintypes thing in National Geo?

http://magma.nationalgeographic.com/ngm/bestvintage/multimedia_vid2.html

http://magma.nationalgeographic.com/ngm/0410/feature6/
    You'd be amazed how small the demand is for pictures of trees... - Fred Astaire to Audrey Hepburn

www.photo-muse.blogspot.com blog

CJ, you can write it off on your income tax. ;-)

Hmm. So Calamity is followed by disaster.

Well, ma'am, in the immortal words of Nancy Reagan, "Just say NO."

Ya forget that 11x14. You want 16x20 -)