Thread: Half plate film (4.75" x 6.5")

Half plate film (4.75" x 6.5")

I have an option to buy a half plate back for my old Toyo Field, which looks quite interesting. What films are available in this size, and where can they be purchased?

Re: Half plate film (4.75" x 6.5")

I can't be sure, and I think others will know better than me, but I think that post WW2 half plate backs will take 5x7 holders (they are the same size). So if the seller doesn't know this you may be able to get a bargain. Ilford still sells 5x7 I believe.

Half plate is different from 5x7"/13x18cm. Ilford has offered 4.75x6.5" FP4 Plus and HP5 Plus as part of its annual special order program.

!/2 plate film from Ilford's annual special order has been priced, per sq in, significantly lower that the same film in any other size for several years.

However not every retailer used the lower price. I buy it to cut down. I also use it in a couple 1/2 plate film holders.

No guarantee this price oddity will occur again this year and you must check each supplier. It's not obvious until you examine pricing.

A little history. http://www.ilfordphoto.com/photocomm...?TOPIC_ID=7770
    Last edited by Tin Can; 12-Feb-2017 at 18:15. Reason: add history

I too would like to know who sells half-plate and whole-plate film in the US and Europe.

Kumar