Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Did AA listen to music in the darkroom?

Did AA listen to music in the darkroom?

Wow! Wish my darkroom space was large enough to accomodate such a luxury! Hell, I wish my darkroom space had a sink :0

I understand that he also had a candellebra with a red filter system :-))

Abuser of God's Sunlight

A grand piano is nice if you can afford it.
    All I have is a D.J. and a couple of cage dancers suspended from the ceiling.

I'm just a newcomer to this forum, but folklore has it that he did indeed listen to classical music while printing, and many of his disciples continue this practice.

However, I also have it on good authority from one of those same-said disciples that AA liked to cut loose occasionally and blast some Liberace in the darkroom, which verifies Pete's post. I'm also told that his assistants were the ones who wore clogs, and they danced a merry jig while the enlarger was on so the Great One could accurately time his exposures.

Best,

Mike

As a teenager I grew up in Santa Cruz across Monterey Bay from Carmel in the 50s and 60s. My Dad always had the radio glued to the only classical station in the area which was in Carmel. I always thought Carmel must be a pretty sophisticated place where everyone had good taste and listened to Classical music all the time. Ansel moved to Carmel in 1962. Perhaps he listened to the same station.

There's something about one's teenage years that stay in memory the longest and with the most detail...

I guess the most famous link between photography and classical music was that of Godowsky (son of Leopold Godowsky, the famous piano virtuoso) and Leopold Mannes (son of the concert master of the NYP and a violinist himself) who used to whistle classicle tunes during their photographic experiments that lead to the invention of the Kodachrome film. Don't know about Ansel, but I believe that I remember reading somewhere that he was a fan of classical music and a skilled interpreter (forgot which instrument though) and that he would have gone for classical music if it wouldn't have been for photography... Choose carefully!

Stuck inside of Tucson with the Neverland Blues again...

Just wondering... did Adams ever release recordings of any of his piano performances? I've never heard of one, but wouldn't be surprised...
    "I love my Verito lens, but I always have to sharpen everything in Photoshop..."