Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Helioprint/Repromaster 150mm F9

Helioprint/Repromaster 150mm F9

First up i'm new here so forgive me if this question has been mulled before. Anyone know if the above lens vignettes in a copal0 shutter?

Re: Helioprint/Repromaster 150mm F9

Mark, I could be mistaken and the one I had many years ago may not be representative but as far as I know the cells won't go into any known shutter.

If you hang one in front of a #0 using a zero length adapter that has zero wall thickness, well, my crude front-mounting model says yes, it will vignette on 4x5. Probably won't if hung in front of a #1 but also won't allow much rise/shift.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fromm View Post
    Mark, I could be mistaken and the one I had many years ago may not be representative but as far as I know the cells won't go into any known shutter.

If you hang one in front of a #0 using a zero length adapter that has zero wall thickness, well, my crude front-mounting model says yes, it will vignette on 4x5. Probably won't if hung in front of a #1 but also won't allow much rise/shift.
    Thanks. This business is a new area for me. The thread on the 150mm is 32.5x0.5? It's this the front thread of copol 0?

No, it isn't. For dimensions of standard Copal shutters, see: http://www.skgrimes.com/products/new...standardcopals

I take it you found one of the lenses, perhaps even paid for it, and now want to use it. Silly, silly idea. If it was a gift, it was a poisoned gift.

Buying an adapter to mount a lens in front of a shutter and buying the shutter almost always costs more than the equivalent lens in shutter. If you want a normal lens for 4x5, don't screw around with lenses in barrel. Just look for a 150/5.6 lens from one of the big four (in alphabetical order, Fuji, Nikon, Schneider and Rodenstock). Anything from them in good order, except perhaps a convertible Symmar, is much better than good enough if in good condition.

Most of us usually use lenses in shutter, not lenses hung in front of shutters. As I've already mentioned, the economics of front mounting are usually unfavorable. As I haven't mentioned, a lens projects a cone of rays. When a lens is hung in front of a shutter, the shutter -- either its opening or the rear of the tube -- blocks the outer part of the cone of rays. In other words, it vignettes. Not what we usually want. The smaller the shutter's maximum opening and rear tube, the worse the problem. And the farther the lens sits in front of the shutter, the worse the problem.

I use a number of lenses hung in front of shutters. I had good reasons for doing this and can get away with it better than most because I shoot 2x3 and 6x12, not 4x5. I hang lenses in front of a #1, not a #0. When I started with 6x12, several of my front-mounted lenses had vignetting problems because their adapters were long. They're now in shutter or replaced.

Point taken. Ive misread the mount size for the front thread i think? Theres a 213 lens as well along with a bunch of other stuff. Since i wish to do colloidion then they would be ok for this and i can use them on enlarger with ltm adapter. The vignetting i suspected.

Could you point me to a clarification of "lenses in shutter, not lenses hung in front of shutters"?

Lachlan 717

f9 lenses are far from the "standard" for Collodion shooting.

Just too slow.
    Lachlan.

You miss 100% of the shots you never take. -- Wayne Gretzky

Quote Originally Posted by markfewtrell View Post
    Could you point me to a clarification of "lenses in shutter, not lenses hung in front of shutters"?
    I'll try again. Lenses can be thought of as bits of glass in a tube. The ones we normally use are in three-piece tubes. The outer sections (front cell, rear cell) hold the bits of glass and are threaded to screw into the central section, which usually contains an iris diaphragm. Not always, I have a lens that arrived with the cells screwed into a section of straight tube. So far so clear?

The central tube can be replaced by a shutter. Plain tube or diaphragm with no shutter in the middle, lens in barrel. Shutter in the middle, lens in shutter.

Complete lens -- front cell, central tube, rear cell -- screwed into an adapter or directly into a shutter, front mounted or hung in front of the shutter.

Your ignorance is annoying. This is not an insult, we were all born ignorant. That you're seeking enlightenment is wonderful. The best place to find the enlightenment you seek is in books. The two most often recommended here are Steve Simmons' Understanding the View Camera and Leslie Strobel's View Camera Technique. Jim Stone's A User's Guide to the View Camera is highly recommended on the French LF forum. Buy one of them and read it.

"Your ignorance is annoying. This is not an insult, we were all born ignorant." As someone whose a writer and photographer, ex engineer[nuclear power stations]/carpenter. Your waspishness gives the lie. I have read other articles you have written and now their light will be of a different colour. The enlightenment you suggest in books will have seen two universities and a life reading. Sometimes when someone understands it is a lifetime distilled to ask. Not everyone draws the same conclusion from their lifetime's work it seems. But i thank you for your consideration.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fromm View Post
    Your ignorance is annoying.
    Dan, this attitude (regardless of intent) is what keeps this forum from flourishing more. I have heard many say they stay away from here due to elitist posters and rudeness. There was just no reason for it. Suggesting the books is fine but the intro sentences were totally unnecessary.

As for the question - lots and lots of f/9 lenses come without a shutter, meaning you can't time the exposures except by covering and uncovering the lens while the film is exposed, oftentimes by using a hat or lens cap. This can be a pain for multiple reasons, but if you are shooting slow collodion it can be workable. The short answer is, don't bother mounting it to a shutter, just put it on the camera, or buy a lens in shutter. Back to the collodion though - if you are after portraits or generally want a faster exposure, a faster lens is highly recommended. A 150mm f/4.5 in shutter will be 4x faster (2 stops) and can be had for under $100 generally. Look for a Zeiss Tessar or Schneider Xenar.
    Last edited by Corran; 10-Feb-2017 at 08:13.
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome