Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Suter serial numbers and dates.

Re: Suter serial numbers and dates.

This is the later version of the landscape meniscus with a lever iris which is built into the barrel, whilst the first version had Rotary stops in a housing which could be removed.

The catalogue is in good condition and I ask if cameraeccentric are interested in using it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image.jpeg  

These are the 3 early Suter aplanat series which were made mostly in the 1890's but were still in the 1902 catalogue.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image.jpeg   image.jpeg   image.jpeg  

This is the late F5 Extra Rapid aplanat, which became the "Stella" aplanat.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image.jpeg  

For the record, I have an engraved Suter Aplanat A, No 3 with WHS (no iris like in the catalog) and imported by Allen Bros, sole agents.

Serial is No 3575

Lens diameter is 52mm as per catalog page.

Cheers,

I have just taken delivery of a Suter lens (s/n 1753) which is an Aplanat C No 3. As yet I haven't had chance to play with it but its focal length appears to be in the region of 8" to 10" or so from a very rough check. It has wheel stops and is surprisingly clean. Any info appreciated re age, coverage.

Quote Originally Posted by pgk View Post
    I have just taken delivery of a Suter lens (s/n 1753) which is an Aplanat C No 3. As yet I haven't had chance to play with it but its focal length appears to be in the region of 8" to 10" or so from a very rough check. It has wheel stops and is surprisingly clean. Any info appreciated re age, coverage.
    The info is right there. Three posts up.
    42 mm diaphragm diameter; 22 cm focal lenght (8.66"); Covers 18x24 (7x9.45") cm wide open and 24x30 cm (9.45x11.8") closed all the way down.

It states: "Aplanats, series C, wide angle lenses for reproductions, interiors, monuments and landscapes. Aperture 1/12 th of the focal length. 90° FOV. The rear lens can be used by itself for landscapes; the focal length is double that of the combined object-glass."

Gesendet von meinem Mi A1 mit Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by torashi View Post
    The info is right there. Three posts up.
    42 mm diaphragm diameter; 22 cm focal lenght (8.66"); Covers 18x24 (7x9.45") cm wide open and 24x30 cm (9.45x11.8") closed all the way down.
    Whilst this makes sense to a degree, I'm puzzled by the 42mm diameter as the physical dimensions of the lens do not have 42mm glass diameter, diaphragm (stop) diameter or anything else of this diameter. My lens has rotating stops though, not a diaphragm. What exactly does this 42mm refer to I wonder and would earlier lenses have had the same designation or been physically slightly different?

I think it is possible that there are variations in the Aplanat C design. Especially as this new one and the only other one I have recorded are very early ones and the catalogue is from 1902. A lot of new glass types came out of Jena in this Period!
    Will add the new lenses today.

Thanks Steven.New glass must have shifted designs substantially. I often think that we do not give sufficient credit for the rapid progress made in the days when we consider communications to have been poor (perhaps quite wrongly). I'll post a photo of the lens when I get chance to do so. I'm guessing late 1880s early 1890s for this Aplanat C. Haven't figured coverage yet but will mount it up and see idc.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Fitzgerald View Post
    Steven, if it helps I have a series B #6 that has a serial number 3052. Love the lens and need to use it more.
    I have the same lens (B #6, 13x16), #3531

A quick portrait of one of my boys (11x14 contact silver gelatin print) with the lens. Too much light for wide open -- I think I used the f11 or f16 waterstop.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Bryce11x14a.jpg  
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China