Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Processing 11x14 Film

Re: Processing 11x14 Film

This is the best thread and what I am trying to duplicate: http://www.apug.org/forum/index.php?...or-7x17.33744/

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Purchased a set of the JOBO polycarbonate insets for the JOBO drum in 11x14 and 12x20 back in the day and tried them once and while they worked fine, it drove me nuts processing a sheet at a time. They have been sitting idle since anticipating a point where I have hours upon hours to process sheet film. What happens if I come home with 15 or 20 exposed 11x14 negatives? The protracted time to develop these one at a time I do not want to be an inhibiting event to working freely. That said tube processing with RAD (reduced agitation development) with two poly tubes at a time on separate timers is still time consuming, but the results are so superior in these large sizes it is legitimately worth the effort. The movement of film in the tubes is a concern as it can cause emulsion scratching. Finalizing a solution for that in the final testing phase. For special negatives that can best benefit with RAD techniques (extreme N- and N+) I still will take the effort two negatives at a time.

For the life of me I cannot understand the angst about tray development of 11x14 sheet film or for that matter 8x10 8x20 or 12x20 sheet film). I can process up to six sheets of any of these film formats (although if they are images with skies I have found the best grouping is four sheets at a time) without even a hint of marks or scratching with perfect results and I can get the batch of film processed and hanging to dry in the cabinet in under 45 minutes. Couple of keys to success. First is having an IR monocle to see what you are doing which also helps in loading holders. Plus development by inspection comes along for the ride. Second is individual dedicated washer slots to wash the sheets so they do not touch each other in this cycle. At the end of the day it is about efficiency and trays have been a go to option since Edward's days. If I must have some inefficiency induced upon me it will be in the field not in the darkroom. I realize that may just be me.
    Last edited by Michael Kadillak; 17-Feb-2017 at 19:32. Reason: typo

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Kadillak View Post
    Purchased a set of the JOBO polycarbonate insets for the JOBO drum in 11x14 and 12x20 back in the day and tried them once and while they worked fine, it drove me nuts processing a sheet at a time. They have been sitting idle since anticipating a point where I have hours upon hours to process sheet film. What happens if I come home with 15 or 20 exposed 11x14 negatives? The protracted time to develop these one at a time I do not want to be an inhibiting event to working freely. That said tube processing with RAD (reduced agitation development) with two poly tubes at a time on separate timers is still time consuming, but the results are so superior in these large sizes it is legitimately worth the effort. The movement of film in the tubes is a concern as it can cause emulsion scratching. Finalizing a solution for that in the final testing phase. For special negatives that can best benefit with RAD techniques (extreme N- and N+) I still will take the effort two negatives at a time.

For the life of me I cannot understand the angst about tray development of 11x14 sheet film or for that matter 8x10 8x20 or 12x20 sheet film). I can process up to six sheets of any of these film formats (although if they are images with skies I have found the best grouping is four sheets at a time) without even a hint of marks or scratching with perfect results and I can get the batch of film processed and hanging to dry in the cabinet in under 45 minutes. Couple of keys to success. First is having an IR monocle to see what you are doing which also helps in loading holders. Plus development by inspection comes along for the ride. Second is individual dedicated washer slots to wash the sheets so they do not touch each other in this cycle. At the end of the day it is about efficiency and trays have been a got to option since Edward's days. If I must have some inefficiency induced upon me it will be in the field not in the darkroom. I realize that may just be me.
    I'm with you. Part of what is holding me back with my 11x14 and 14x17 is the time to process negatives - just not fun! There is an outfit in SF that will do this for you which I will have to consider. The advantage of using the Jobo Expert drums to do 5 sheets of 8x10 or 10 sheets of 4x5 is enormous. But perhaps I have to breakdown and do tray development. What IR monocle or googles do you recommend? Is there a good video somewhere showing how you do development that way? I'm so used to time based development rather than by inspection.

Quote Originally Posted by angusparker View Post
    I'm with you. Part of what is holding me back with my 11x14 and 14x17 is the time to process negatives - just not fun! There is an outfit in SF that will do this for you which I will have to consider. The advantage of using the Jobo Expert drums to do 5 sheets of 8x10 or 10 sheets of 4x5 is enormous. But perhaps I have to breakdown and do tray development. What IR monocle or googles do you recommend? Is there a good video somewhere showing how you do development that way? I'm so used to time based development rather than by inspection.
    Sent you a PM so as to not detract from the original post.

Hello,
    Modified a Jobo 4511 format holder that came with two(2) red ribs,
    by creating openings along the format holder at the proper place to accept 11X14,
    and inserting one of the red ribs in the new line of openings. Please see photos below.
    The film is held in place by the rib at one side, and by the curved border of the format holder at the other side.
    The Jobo 4511 can accommodate sizes up to 16X20.
    Hope this useful.
    Drums compatible are 2850 and 3063.
    Before owning this format holder, tried to make one, but failed because the materials was not as thick as Jobo format holder. Never found material in the local market similar to Jobo.
    You can make similar or better if you have a thick enough plastic sheet.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	34.2 KB 
ID:	162244.&.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	51.8 KB 
ID:	162245

The generosity of spirit in this forum is great, its warmly appreciated.
    ------------------------------

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Kadillak View Post

For the life of me I cannot understand the angst about tray development of 11x14 sheet film or for that matter 8x10 8x20 or 12x20 sheet film). I can process up to six sheets of any of these film formats (although if they are images with skies I have found the best grouping is four sheets at a time) without even a hint of marks or scratching with perfect results and I can get the batch of film processed and hanging to dry in the cabinet in under 45 minutes. Couple of keys to success. First is having an IR monocle to see what you are doing which also helps in loading holders. Plus development by inspection comes along for the ride. Second is individual dedicated washer slots to wash the sheets so they do not touch each other in this cycle. At the end of the day it is about efficiency and trays have been a go to option since Edward's days. If I must have some inefficiency induced upon me it will be in the field not in the darkroom. I realize that may just be me.
    Hi Michael,
    With RAD how are you agitating the 11x14/8x20/12x20 film in the tubes (when you use them) at the specified intervals? Do you have a suitable top cap and invert or roll around? For 8x10 I use a pair of 3" electrical conduit tubes with male/female connectors and flat end caps (Tim Jones/Steve Sherman PyrocatHD method which requires fairly vigorous agitation the first min) but have hesitated to do the same for 11x14 and above. In part because wasn't sure I wanted to use and handle that much chemistry for a single sheet in a 4" tube and just never got around to buying the conduit tubes and end caps. I currently develop ULF in 11x14 or 16x20 Unicolor drums and rotating base but would like the option to use extreme minimal agitation some of the time. Unfortunately I don't have space for tray development with multiple sheets at this time. Do, agree, though, RAD (or extreme minimal development) has its benefits but I don't do it all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Luis-F-S View Post
    Is the developing time in drums with constant agitation similar to that published with intermittent agitation? I'm trying to find a starting point for both HP5 & EB/RA with HC-110. I know my developing times for different dilutions in tanks, so if the drums are similar, it gives me a starting point. If say 20% less, that sort of info will help. L
    Since I did raise the original question, I've been working processing two 8x10 sheets in a Unicolor 11x14 drum to come up with some developing times as per my question above. What I've found to date works for me, so I thought I'd share. Last night, I made a Zone VII exposure on a sheet of 8x10 and developed it along with another negative (portrait) as follows: HP5 exposed at EI 200, with 8 oz HC-110 Dil B at 68 Deg F for 6 min. in the Unicolor. I slowed the 352 Unicolor base using my trusty Aristo D750 dimmer to 50% setting. What I found when I read it on the densitometer was that my Zone VII exposure had a film density above the base and fog of 1.14. The sheet I developed for 6 min 30 Sec had a density of 1.24. This falls right in the range of what I'm looking for for silver gelatin printing! I'll try to come up with some times for EB/RA film next.