Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: LF Pinhole - design and building

Re: LF Pinhole - design and building

That's great Barry! 110 degrees sounds about right --- get close, then closer!

New you'd get it straightened out Barry.Looks like a good test shot(you might stand still a little longer so we could get a better look at ya)LOL!
    Good job all round...
    Don

Thanks Ned and Don. Another reason I reduced the pinhole size down to 0.4mm is to allow closer focus. I figured that the 0.5mm would not focus under about 1.5m, whereas the 0.4 should be OK to about 10".

Don, I'm thinking about pinhole portraiture, perhaps a 4x5 dedicated portrait camera and higher speed film. The idea of a selfie of my old mug is not a pretty thought. That job is at the end of a long queue at the moment.

Cheers to both of you.

Great to see you got the vignetting sorted out.
    As for references, don't forget the "Mr Pinhole site" http://www.mrpinhole.com and the wonderful Pinhole designer program (windows only) http://www.pinhole.cz/en/pinholedesigner/ and for some inspiration - http://fslashd.com

Personal Ive just finished a 11x14 camera which is adjustable from 210mm to 300 mm.
    Cheers Shane

Thanks for those references, Shane. I'd forgotten the f/D site... Keir actually used one of my images in 2015, but I can't post it here because it's 2x3. But a great inspirational site. The 11x14 camera sounds interesting. Do you plan to use it for film or paper (or both), and are you using interchangeable pinholes?

Started this years ago for pinhole day and it is only finished today, just in time. The idea was that it could also be used for the Fuji 75mm I once bought on a fair. But as I now have a real 4x5 it will probably only be used as a pinhole.

All aluminium construction except for the brass spring to keep the film holder in place. Right now there is a 0.32mm pinhole mounted. I think I'll have to add something to use a cable release.

Expert in non-working solutions.

Havoc, wonderful! And thanks for the idea of the film holder spring. I am in the process of making a 4X5 camera from a cigar box and that idea looks like it will fit my camera perfectly, though I may try other materials if I don't have any brass handy.
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/52893762/bigger4b.jpg

Matt Alexander

Quote Originally Posted by Randy View Post
    Havoc, wonderful! And thanks for the idea of the film holder spring. I am in the process of making a 4X5 camera from a cigar box and that idea looks like it will fit my camera perfectly, though I may try other materials if I don't have any brass handy.
    I've used some thin plywood with a similar back design (tight at one end, loose on the other) - it has enough flex to slide the film holder in fine and enough spring to hold it securely.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pinhole1.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	45.1 KB 
ID:	177879
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pinhole2.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	43.3 KB 
ID:	177880
    Last edited by malexand; 3-May-2018 at 09:54. Reason: added photos

My cigar box pinhole uses the lid to hold the film holder. I cut a slot in one edge of the lid to just admit the holder, added some supports internally and some blackout material around the opening, and the latched lid holds everything together.

Quote Originally Posted by Havoc View Post
    Started this years ago for pinhole day and it is only finished today, just in time. The idea was that it could also be used for the Fuji 75mm I once bought on a fair. But as I now have a real 4x5 it will probably only be used as a pinhole.

All aluminium construction except for the brass spring to keep the film holder in place. Right now there is a 0.32mm pinhole mounted. I think I'll have to add something to use a cable release.

Wow! That is one heavy duty pinhole camera. The ultra light plywood and foam core 4x5's I build would not dare to be used in anything but dry weather. But that looks like you could take it out even in more 'interesting' weather.