Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: LF Pinhole - design and building

Serious Amateur Photographer pepeguitarra's Avatar

Re: LF Pinhole - design and building

I just want to share my 8x10 pinhole camera with focal length of 203mm, that I completed last week:

20180416_200332 by Palenquero Photography, on Flickr

20180416_200216 by Palenquero Photography, on Flickr

Pinhole Camera by Palenquero Photography, on Flickr
    "I have never in my life made music for money or fame. God walks out of the room when you are thinking about money." -- Quincy Jones

Here is the 4x5 pinhole camera that I finished right after the 8x10:

My 4x5 Pinhole Camera by Palenquero Photography, on Flickr

BTW, this photo was taken with the 8x10 pinhole camera I showed before.
    "I have never in my life made music for money or fame. God walks out of the room when you are thinking about money." -- Quincy Jones

pepeguitarra, nice job on the camera, did you get a chance to take it out last Sunday for Worldwide Pinhole Photography Day?

Roger

Yes, I posted some pics at the Pinhole Photography group at Facebook.

Thanks for the nice comments. I used alu and brass as I'm a lousy woodworker and I have a lot of these materials around from my model making hobby. This is all from recuperation pieces cluttering up the workshop. The brass "spring" (just hard barss) takes some time to adjust between too loose and too strong. And while the camera could take on "interesting" weather, I don't think the film holder or photographer would Hope to develop the photos tomorrow.
    Expert in non-working solutions.

Finished 11x14 Pinhole camera construction last week…

This all started with the purchase of an 8x10 pinhole camera off EBay for a very reasonable price. "Focal length" of the pinhole was 125mm. Two initial problems with the camera: First the pinhole was way too small, and the image it projected was poor even for pinhole standards. Second was that the 8x10 film holder was secured to the back of the camera by 4 screws with large washers under them. When the screws were tightened to secure the holder to the camera body, it did work, but it stressed 4 pressure points on the film holder. I use Chamonix film holders, and the last thing I wanted to do was to stress and possibly distort the holders. So decided to construct an 8x10 pinhole camera. But then the more I thought about it, why not just go for it and construct an 11x14.

First step was to get an 11x14 back, and was lucky to acquire one through a WTB post in the forum. The 11x14 wooden back was off a B&J process camera, and works great with my holders.

Focal length: I really liked the 125mm focal length on the 8x10 pinhole camera, so quickly determined that on the 11x14 camera a pinhole with a focal length of about 140mm would give me approximately the same angle of view.

Building the camera body was easy, used 1/2" Bass wood from The Home Depot for the sides. Sides secured to the wooden back with an overkill of very small screws. Front of camera made from 1/4" sheets of quality plywood which I recovered from a dumpster (diving) outside of a Kitchen/Bath counter store. Every time they would change the cabinet models on display, they would throw away the older cabinets… have acquired a nice pile of quality hardwood over the years. Camera was stained on the outside and the inside spray painted flat "chalkboard" black. Decided to stick with a horizontal format. This is based on my past experience of almost never using any of my pinhole cameras in a vertical format. Besides I could always counter weight a tripod leg and turn the camera 90 degrees.

No GG. Instead I cut pieces of clear plastic to fit the back. Now I can always check on the cleanliness of the inside of the camera, and more importantly that the pinhole is not blocked (happened to me once and ended up with 4 sheets of blank film).

For composing the image, cut viewing angle triangles from a sheet of adhesive plastic and attached to the top and one side of the camera. Worked but I wanted a better way to compose the images. Acquired Vintage Linhof Wire Sport View. It folds down for transport. Format for the wire frame is 4x5, and not 11x14, but close enough in practice. Using it with my eye above the film plane works great. Now the viewing angle triangles are my double checks for what the camera is imaging. Wire viewfinders my first choice for composing images.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 11x14pinholecamera.jpg  

Do strangers even think that is a camera?

Love to see your prints!
    Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Moe View Post
    Do strangers even think that is a camera?

Love to see your prints!
    Most regular bystanders think you are either “mad” or “dumb”, but most people don’t usually say anything and the ones who ask do it because they are genuinely curious about what’s the purpose of the that huge box.

The LF (13x18) pinhole camera was a side project along with my little 35mm pinhole, as i found some x-ray film recently.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P3760211.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	31.3 KB 
ID:	195162

Plywood (13x18), flooring wood (35mm), 3d printed parts, laser cut 1mm stainless steel and tabletop cnc engraving.
    Diy film holders from the same materials.

Very pleased with both but i have to confess the little one is very cute and handy.

Name:	P3760189b.jpg 
Views:	110 
Size:	74.3 KB 
ID:	195163
    13x18: x-ray fuji film expired since...2009, ID-11 1+3/8min ...29oC.

In theory for the LF camera specs are: "focal length" 115mm, angle 88 degrees, f=254. For the little one: "focal length" 23mm, angle 86,2 degrees, f=114

Name:	P3760200bb.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	55.1 KB 
ID:	195165

Name:	P3760202bb.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	41.1 KB 
ID:	195164
    35mm: FP4 Plus, ID-11 1+3/8min (used 3 days after initial dilution) ...29oC, Bolex orange filter from a c-mount lens.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kLUe...fisfv5w03c010c
    Last edited by chris73; 5-Sep-2019 at 12:58.

Wonderful!

Makes me reconsider pinhole.

Quote Originally Posted by chris73 View Post
    The LF (13x18) pinhole camera was a side project along with my little 35mm pinhole, as i found some x-ray film recently.

Name:	P3760211.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	31.3 KB 
ID:	195162

Plywood (13x18), flooring wood (35mm), 3d printed parts, laser cut 1mm stainless steel and tabletop cnc engraving.
    Diy film holders from the same materials.

Very pleased with both but i have to confess the little one is very cute and handy.

Name:	P3760189b.jpg 
Views:	110 
Size:	74.3 KB 
ID:	195163
    13x18: x-ray fuji film expired since...2009, ID-11 1+3/8min ...29oC.

In theory for the LF camera specs are: "focal length" 115mm, angle 88 degrees, f=254. For the little one: "focal length" 23mm, angle 86,2 degrees, f=114

Name:	P3760200bb.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	55.1 KB 
ID:	195165

Name:	P3760202bb.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	41.1 KB 
ID:	195164
    35mm: FP4 Plus, ID-11 1+3/8min (used 3 days after initial dilution) ...29oC, orange filter from a Schneider lens for Bolex 16mm.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kLUe...fisfv5w03c010c
    Tin Can