I switched from film, 35mm, 6x9, and 4x5 to digital 4 years ago and now have returned to film. My darkroom had been condemned by building inspectors as it was in the basement of a hotel, and the chemicals were not allowed there. I now live in a condo, but local codes in VT make darkrooms iffy.

Having donated my enlarger and lenses to a photo school, I used a 1999 UMAX Powerlook scanner with transparency adapter with mediocre results.
The software provided by Umax gave terrible tones and colors. I tried a demo of Silverfast 6 Ai and was amazed at the increase in sharpness, clarity and tonality in color and b/w. The only hitch is why spend $300 plus for the software when the scanner on Ebay gets less than $50.

I have been looking at the Microtek 1800f which sells for around $900, and includes Silverfast 6 A1. I know it will handle the 4x5 film and allow prints up to 30x40. I am uncertain about the 6x9 film, as the scanner has only 1800 x 3600 dpi optical, and may be limited on enlargement sizes. I shoot b/w ISO 100, and color negs.

As a 73 year old amateur with limited gallery exposure I want to expand my photo horizons. This my first post to this site, although I read the messages often. Any ideas will be appreciated.

Jim Latchis