Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Problem with tilt and swing

Re: Problem with tilt and swing

It wasn't you. If someone truly wanted help, they'd ask for clarification.

This jerk insisted on picking my words apart arguing semantics & attacking my explanation.

Enough said... I should have just ignored him.

Sent from my 0PJA2 using Tapatalk

Given the unavoidable poor web presentation it looks good enough.

Most of the critical statements in this thread have nothing to to with the image, instead they argue about view camera operations in the abstract.

So, post more of your explorations and be happy,

Lachlan 717

Quote Originally Posted by loonatic45414 View Post
    It wasn't you. If someone truly wanted help, they'd ask for clarification.

This jerk insisted on picking my words apart arguing semantics & attacking my explanation.

Enough said... I should have just ignored him.

Sent from my 0PJA2 using Tapatalk
    Blame the messenger and resort to name calling. Well argued. Very mature take on it.

Your last name wouldn't be Stone, would it?
    Lachlan.

You miss 100% of the shots you never take. -- Wayne Gretzky

Quote Originally Posted by Thom Bennett View Post
    Swing (or Tilt): Once you determine you need one or the other, focus on the farthest point, then swing (or tilt) in the direction of the nearest point until the far and near points are equally out of focus. Lock the swing (or tilt), refocus and, if you did it right, both points will pop into focus at the same time. The trick is determining when both points are equally out of focus but once you do it a few times it gets surprisingly quick and easy. It's all on the ground glass.
    Thank you Sir. I was trying to get the nearest part in focus (top part of the glass) then tilting the front down a little and it would all get messed up.......I will give what you wrote above a try when I get home
    Thanks again
    Come and see what I have done up and until now at www.neilsphotography.co.uk

Just curious, why did you start out by focusing on the closest point?

When you swing (or tilt) one end of the lensboard gets closer to the film and the other end gets further way. That's what you want. If you focus in the middle, and then swing, the center will stay in focus and the closer part of the image gets a little more extension, while the further part of the image gets a little less extension. But in this case you shouldn't need much swinging at all.

Quote Originally Posted by xkaes View Post
    Just curious, why did you start out by focusing on the closest point?

I would say that the reason I did that was because I really didn't have a clue what to focus on first. After reading what the other gentleman said I now know and understand a little better on what to focus on first (Bottom of the ground glass). So please correct me if I'm wrong.
    1/. Make sure the camera is level
    2/. Extend the bellows until the bulk of the picture in visible on the ground glass
    3/. Make sure the bottom of the ground glass is sharp
    4/. Then tilt until both the bottom and top of the ground glass are equally out of focus
    5/. Now adjust the bellows until both top and bottom are in focus

is that right??

Neil

Quote Originally Posted by ndwgolf View Post
    I would say that the reason I did that was because I really didn't have a clue what to focus on first. After reading what the other gentleman said I now know and understand a little better on what to focus on first (Bottom of the ground glass). So please correct me if I'm wrong.
    1/. Make sure the camera is level
    2/. Extend the bellows until the bulk of the picture in visible on the ground glass
    3/. Make sure the bottom of the ground glass is sharp
    4/. Then tilt until both the bottom and top of the ground glass are equally out of focus
    5/. Now adjust the bellows until both top and bottom are in focus

is that right??

Neil
    After watching a youtube video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0JU-eHpk97Y it says there to
    Focus on the near (top of the ground glass)
    Tilt to the far (bottom of the ground glass)

So now I'm really confused??

It depends on your camera and how it tilts.

On the front standard, most cameras swing on the lens axis (or close to it), but when tilting, it can be different. Some cameras tilt on the axis (or close to it), but some tilt on the base of the front standard (like mine), and still others can tilt on BOTH. Here is a shot with a camera that has both which may make the difference easier to grasp:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tilt.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	80.4 KB 
ID:	165282

If you will be tilting or swinging on the lens axis, focus in the middle of the scene. Then when you tilt or swing, it will add extension for closer objects, and reduce extension for farther objects. You may need to make some minor adjustments to the overall focusing because the nodal point of some lenses is not the same as the axis point (AKA front standard).

If you are tilting on the base, focus on the farthest point of the subject -- IF it is toward the top of the scene (and the bottom of the screen). When you tilt -- forward -- this will add extension for closer objects. It will probably add some extension all around, so additional refocusing is likely to be needed. So take it a bit at a time -- tilt a little, and refocus the REAR part of the subject, repeat....until the rear and near are in focus.

But if the far point of the subject is on the bottom of the scene -- it does happen sometimes -- proceed in reverse. Focus on the nearest point and then tilt the front standard backwards -- which will decrease the bellows length for the far away objects. Again, additional refocusing is likely to be needed. So take it a bit at a time -- tilt a little, and refocus the NEAR part of the subject, repeat....until the near and rear are in focus.

And whether you are tilting or swinging, on the base or on the axis, always watch the corners of the focusing screen for vignetting -- after you have stopped down to the taking aperture and added any filters & lens shades that you will be using.
    Last edited by xkaes; 24-May-2017 at 08:25.