Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Problem with tilt and swing

Problem with tilt and swing

Guys
    Yesterday I took this picture and was trying to get everything in focus by swinging the front element to more or less parallel to the subject, I couldn't get it and in the end stopped down to f64 just to make the picture.
    Basically I was focusing on the nearest part of the old bridge and then swinging the lens trying to get the furthest part in focus, it would focus on the furthest part but then the near was out of focus..........
    Any tips or help would be much appreciated
    Come and see what I have done up and until now at www.neilsphotography.co.uk

Re: Problem with tilt and swing

Quote Originally Posted by ndwgolf View Post
    Guys
    Yesterday I took this picture and was trying to get everything in focus by swinging the front element to more or less parallel to the subject, I couldn't get it and in the end stopped down to f64 just to make the picture.
    Basically I was focusing on the nearest part of the old bridge and then swinging the lens trying to get the furthest part in focus, it would focus on the furthest part but then the near was out of focus..........
    Any tips or help would be much appreciated

Hmm, you wouldn't need very much swing for a shot like that. Maybe you overdid it? Personally, since the perspective on the bridge is such a subtle angle, I probably would have kept it straight and stopped down.

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Barrett View Post
    Hmm, you wouldn't need very much swing for a shot like that. Maybe you overdid it? Personally, since the perspective on the bridge is such a subtle angle, I probably would have kept it straight and stopped down.
    Thats what I ended up doing...........thanks for the feedback.
    I remember watching a youtube video and it sure as hell looked easier than what I experienced yesterday

Lachlan 717

What focal length lens?
    Lachlan.

You miss 100% of the shots you never take. -- Wayne Gretzky

Quote Originally Posted by Lachlan 717 View Post
    What focal length lens?
    Sir I was using a 210mm lens

Check your focus & adjust after the swing. Your lens to film distance changes when you swing causing a change in focus.

Sent from my 0PJA2 using Tapatalk

If your goal is to get everything in focus, then do not pick the structure as your 'subject' to line up with. That is the ground in front of you.

I'd keep the camera level (keep the back straight up), drop the front a little to taste, use a little front tilt, but no swing. At least I would never use swing in this circumstance. Then I'd close down until I have the parts of the pier structure that stick out of the plane of focus, in focus.
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

Quote Originally Posted by ndwgolf View Post
    Guys
    So you didn't get the angle right. It's an iterative process. Decide on which direction you need to swing, swing a bit, check if the nearest part requires more bellows extension to get it into focus than the furthest part of your subject - if so, swing a little more and check again. If the furthest part needs more bellows extension to get it into focus, you took it too far and need to decrease the swing a bit.

I'm not criticizing the OP on their choice of using swing / tilt, exposure, subject, film, whatever.

The focus (pun intended) was on focus. Creative use of movements is up to the poster, in my opinion.

Sent from my 0PJA2 using Tapatalk