Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: LF Pinhole camera design and building?

LF Pinhole camera design and building?

Wondering what people think about a page specifically devoted to building LF pinhole cameras? Since the demise of f295 (which is still accessible to members but no longer maintained or fully operational) there is a huge void for those interested in the art and craft of pinhole photography. From past experience there I'm aware of a huge reservoir of talent in this area which I don't think has an outlet for sharing anywhere else. Some of the old f295 members are here, but not many. What do members and mods think?

Re: LF Pinhole camera design and building?

It's a great topic and LF pinholers are most certainly welcome here, but is there a reason why such discussion can't be held effectively within our existing DIY subforum? Not ruling out the idea as a matter of principle, but we're wary of proliferating subforums and would like to see a strong rationale as to why a separate section is needed and why it's likely to be active.

Quote Originally Posted by Oren Grad View Post
    [...] Not ruling out the idea as a matter of principle, but we're wary of proliferating subforums and would like to see a strong rationale as to why a separate section is needed and why it's likely to be active.
    Just my two-bits worth. Pinhole (lensless) photography is certainly specific so having a separate forum seems to be an appropriate distinction. Whether it would be active is something we do not know, but it might fill a gap in coverage and attract some more exploratory members short on funds, long on enthusiasm and an entry into lens large format.
    Last edited by Jac@stafford.net; 1-Feb-2017 at 17:05.

I still visit f295 a few times a month to see if there are any new posts.
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/52893762/bigger4b.jpg

I think it's pretty distinct. It does use the same consumables and darkroom work, but is quite different.. Most of the people here are interested in LF for either sharp enlargements, technical movements, using or justifying certain lenses, etc and that's all irrelevant to pinhole. But the cameras we use for LF are already pretty diverse, so what's one more? Perhaps acknowledging the variety in LF because of 150+ years of photography is a start at welcoming pinhole users.

Perhaps the best way to gauge interest and activity level would be to start a thread in the DIY sub-forum. We can make that "sticky" so it is anchored at the top of the sub-forum display. If the activity level is high, we could then consider making it a separate sub-forum.

Thanks for the encouraging thoughts. I think starting in the DIY sub-forum is an excellent place to begin. I don't know how it's going to take off, as it'll take a while for the word to get around, but let's give it a go and see what happens. I've just described my latest and it will be a while before another comes along, but can I suggest that a few pinholers here describe their most recent creation? Thanks everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Kirsten View Post
    Thanks for the encouraging thoughts. I think starting in the DIY sub-forum is an excellent place to begin. I don't know how it's going to take off, as it'll take a while for the word to get around, but let's give it a go and see what happens. I've just described my latest and it will be a while before another comes along, but can I suggest that a few pinholers here describe their most recent creation? Thanks everyone.
    For clarification, Barry, we won't be starting a new sub-forum immediately. Start a thread in the existing DIY sub-forum first, and we can make that "sticky" so it stays at the top of the sub-forum display. If there is sufficient activity to warrant a separate sub-forum, we'll consider it at that time.

Dave Karp

You can also discuss an article on the subject with Tuan and write one for the home page. That might increase traffic/interest. It's too bad people don't do that any more.

John Olsen

I've been using my coffee-can pinhole camera recently for a fresh take on familiar places. I would look at a thread in that direction if others were posting. I think such a thread has a place in LF Forum because so much of the processing and expendables are the same as in my view cameras.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Maxwell.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	55.6 KB 
ID:	160780