Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 33

Thread: New 4x5 'Standard' Camera

  1. #1

  2. #2

    Join Date
    Sep 1998
    Location
    GA
    Posts
    10,994

    Re: New 4x5 'Standard' Camera

    Wonder if he knows that Linhof made a series of Kardan cameras called Standard a few decades ago?

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Missouri
    Posts
    7

    Re: New 4x5 'Standard' Camera

    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon View Post
    Wonder if he knows that Linhof made a series of Kardan cameras called Standard a few decades ago?
    Hey thanks for sharing the KS here! I was aware actually - I was excited to see they seemed to be using 'Standard' in the same way - to describe a no frills style camera. In my case, of course, it also refers to the company name - Standard Cameras.

    I'm happy to answer questions about the project if anybody has any. I have been working on getting this far with the project for about 4 years. I've personally designed the camera from the top to the bottom.
    - Drew Nikonowicz

  4. #4

    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Elko, Nevada
    Posts
    375

    Re: New 4x5 'Standard' Camera

    Reminds me a lot of my Cambo SC. Still a great idea and the price is certainly right

    For now I am very, very happy wandering around Nevada and elsewhere with my Wanderlust Travelwide and my Intrepid 4x5.

    I do wish that someone would pick up the Travelwide design and bring it back out. Maybe with the ability to use the Graflex Grafmatic film holder this time.
    The Viewfinder is the Soul of the Camera

    If you don't believe it, look into an 8x10 viewfinder!

    Dan

  5. #5

    Join Date
    Sep 1998
    Location
    GA
    Posts
    10,994

    Re: New 4x5 'Standard' Camera

    Quote Originally Posted by Nikonowicz View Post
    Hey thanks for sharing the KS here! I was aware actually - I was excited to see they seemed to be using 'Standard' in the same way - to describe a no frills style camera. In my case, of course, it also refers to the company name - Standard Cameras.

    I'm happy to answer questions about the project if anybody has any. I have been working on getting this far with the project for about 4 years. I've personally designed the camera from the top to the bottom.
    It wasn’t exactly a no frills camera. It had all movements on the front and back, 17” bellows extension. Fixed bellows that gave full movements with 65mm and longer lenses, full revolving back and. Rather light weight.

  6. #6

    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Bellingham, WA (displaced Canadian)
    Posts
    253

    Re: New 4x5 'Standard' Camera

    It kind of looks like a 3d printed Bender 4x5 in a lot of ways.

  7. #7

    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Missouri
    Posts
    7

    Re: New 4x5 'Standard' Camera

    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon View Post
    It wasn’t exactly a no frills camera. It had all movements on the front and back, 17” bellows extension. Fixed bellows that gave full movements with 65mm and longer lenses, full revolving back and. Rather light weight.
    Just to clarify, when I say no frills I mean that the design is simplified and it doesn't have a ton of bells and whistles like many Linhof cameras (e.g. the Linhof Technika, though maybe that's comparing apples to oranges...), not no frills meaning no movements/features. Though maybe I simply used the wrong words!
    - Drew Nikonowicz

  8. #8

    Join Date
    Sep 1998
    Location
    GA
    Posts
    10,994

    Re: New 4x5 'Standard' Camera

    Quote Originally Posted by Nikonowicz View Post
    Just to clarify, when I say no frills I mean that the design is simplified and it doesn't have a ton of bells and whistles like many Linhof cameras (e.g. the Linhof Technika, though maybe that's comparing apples to oranges...), not no frills meaning no movements/features. Though maybe I simply used the wrong words!
    Since it was a Kardan and not a Technika it was a completely different camera. It was like most Linhof Kardan cameras made since the B was introduced except its standard bellows was fixed and gave full movements from 65mm up and it would not convert to a larger format and could not use a longer rail. But it did have all movements, front and back like all Kardans from the B on. It also would not accept extension posts for additional rise. It was a fully capable camera.

  9. #9
    ScottPhotoCo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    801

    Re: New 4x5 'Standard' Camera

    Don't let the grumpy old men on here discourage you. Dream big. If it fails you learn something. If it succeeds you learn something. It's all part of life and we all need to dream big.

  10. #10
    ghostcount's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Condado de la Naranja, CA
    Posts
    585

    Re: New 4x5 'Standard' Camera

    Quote Originally Posted by ScottPhotoCo View Post
    Don't let the grumpy old men on here discourage you. Dream big. If it fails you learn something. If it succeeds you learn something. It's all part of life and we all need to dream big.
    ^
    "Sex is like maths, add the bed, subtract the clothes, divide the whoo hoo and hope you don't multiply." - Leather jacket guy

Similar Threads

  1. Standard 300mm f5.6 and standard 360 mm lenses on 4x5 camera.
    By rami rimon in forum Lenses & Lens Accessories
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 10-Aug-2013, 13:30

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •