Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Day two

Day two

Yesterday was my second day out with the 4 x 5 and it was a nightmare.
    I went to a beach with a bunch of dead trees. I found a fantastic spot but I had the wrong bellows on. So I had to walk back to the car and change the bellows. I then went back and got set up but this time I forgot the frigging loap that I left in the car. Back to the car got the lope Sandles covered in sh!t, wife bitching why it was taking so long and why my shoes are covered in shit. Anyway eventually I got the picture. Went back to the car packed everything ready for the next location, started the car and the dashboard lit up like a frigging Christmas tree with PSM faught, ABS fault, hand brake fault....... every frigging thing fault. I limped the car back to the garage 60 miles away and now I'm sat there while they are fault finding............ f@ck I need a beer........... picture to follow
    Come and see what I have done up and until now at www.neilsphotography.co.uk

Re: Day two

As a follow up to yesterdays escapades
    Dust Dust Dust...........
    Well on Monday I loaded 6 holders with 12 sheets of film 4 x color and 8 B&W, somewhere along the line I screwed up the loading and I have serious amounts of dust on my negs (its on the neg not the scanner)..........anyway, no big deal, its part of the learning process. I will go out today and shoot the remaining 10 shots, I guess full of dust, hopefully get the exposure right (the one below is a mile off) and keep learning............theres one thing I like to think I am good at and that is learning by my mistakes

Pictures to follow
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2017-02-01-0001.jpg   2017-02-01-0002.jpg  

45-57-617

I have only one thing to say... you are of the type that will punch through and succeed. Tough and resilient.

Two qualities that are most needed to be into LF photography - plus some practical troubleshooting skills.

You give me encouragement at least !

Clean your holders every time before loading...

Foamer

Quote Originally Posted by ndwgolf View Post
    (1) I forgot the frigging loap that I left in the car. Back to the car got the lope Sandles covered in sh!t, (2) wife bitching why it was taking so long (

1. I've done that a few times, but rather going back for the loupe I simply use another lens as a magnifier.

2. Taking wife along when doing LF--beginner's mistake #2.

Kent in SD
    In contento ed allegria
    Notte e di vogliam passar!

Think positive/negative. Dust on the film after loading and during exposure delivers black spots in the positive image. You have dust in the imaging system after exposure and development. A dusty negative in an enlarger, a dusty negative on a clean scanner, a clean negative on a dusty scanner, or dusty on dusty, all yield white spots in the positive image. A clean-up should save the day.
    Photography:first utterance. Sir John Herschel, 14 March 1839 at the Royal Society. "...Photography or the application of the Chemical rays of light to the purpose of pictorial representation,..".

Stuck inside of Tucson with the Neverland Blues again...

Quote Originally Posted by ndwgolf View Post
    Yesterday was my second day out with the 4 x 5 and it was a nightmare...
    Some people say "welcome to the club" when you buy a 4x5 camera. I think three or four more days like that and we can more honestly say "welcome to the club"...
    "I love my Verito lens, but I always have to sharpen everything in Photoshop..."

Stick with it...
    You will learn from your mistakes. You will succeed.

A few things I learned early on...
    Be methodical in your approach to LF whether exposing, developing or printing
    Don't be sloppy in the darkroom (or anywhere else, for that matter)
    Follow instructions and procedures carefully - keep notes
    Develop your own pattern of working and workflows - checklists may help

Lastly, remember to avoid mistake #2

Things will fall into place - eventually - it all depends on you.
    I know just enough to be dangerous !

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2017-02-02-0002.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	85.1 KB 
ID:	160694
    Okay thats more like it

Only once have I had dust problems anywhere near as bad as that. It was an 8X10 Ansco, I didn't blow out the bellows thoroughly after purchase and before use.