Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Recommendation on lightbox for viewing transparencies?

Re: Recommendation on lightbox for viewing transparencies?

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    In the early 1990s, I wanted to get the "best" lightbox available out there. After some research, acquired a "graphiclite D5000 STANDARD VIEWER". Back then was several hundred dollars. Viewing area is 10 plus x 10 plus inches. Measured the light area once with a digital meter and the reading didn't change wherever I placed the probe, so was well within 1/10 f/stop. Lightbox even has 4 LEDs that tell you the life of the bulbs. Have been using it regularly for 27+ years, and the "full life" LED has never changed. Around 2005 used it to digitize thousands of glass plates for a museum. Lately I have seen them going for $100+ at that auction site which is a real bargain.

For viewing my 11x14 negatives, tried out a few LED light panels over the past few years. First couple of purchases had visually uneven illumination and were returned. Based on the advice from a friend, last year acquired a "generic" LED light panel at what I consider a bargain price. It has truly amazed me. Illumination seems to be close to 100% even! Don't have the digital meter any more, but using my Pentax and Soligor ZONE VI meters... well the needle never moves as I move each meter across the illuminated area. Specs: Illuminated area is 12 plus x 16 plus inches. Label on back: LED Copy Board, Model A3, Supplier: Honor Management Consulting Limited, Made in China. Has 3 levels of illumination but I always use it on the highest level. Color temperature visually has to be around 7,000K. I use it to shoot digital images from my 11x14" B&W negatives and to quickly sort color transparencies. Apparent high color temperature is the light panel's only minus point.
    I can't find it online. Anymore clues?

This comes up on Amazon, but I have pne like and it definely is uneven.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B013SHKTXO...d_w=5vinh&th=1

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Moe View Post
    I can't find it online. Anymore clues?

This comes up on Amazon, but I have pne like and it definely is uneven.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B013SHKTXO...d_w=5vinh&th=1
    The LED light panel looks like the one you listed that URL to but mine has no logo on printed the bottom right. Unfortunately don't remember where I ordered it from. All I can remember that it was from a store in NYC. Mine is black masked for the central area of 11x14 inches, so not measuring the evenness of light along the edges of the panel. Just measured it again with my analogue spot meter and the needle essentially never changes. But then measured it using a LUNA-PRO digital meter: 75% of the time, reading stayed the same, but 25% of the time read either + 1/10 f/stop or - 1/10 f/stop. Has worked great for shooting digital files from my 11x14" negatives and making digital negatives to print Platinum/Palladium or Salt. If there was an unevenness in the illumination of a 1/4 f/stop, because it was gradual, I'd most surely never notice it in my final prints. Next time I set it up will shoot an image of just the lit area on the light panel. Then open up the file in Photoshop and Image>Adjustments>Threshold and move the bottom slider... should be interesting!

Thank you!

Approx $78 brand new. They use and sell these at local lab. I use it at the counter when I check negs. Dimmable.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	019548C5-84AE-4D0A-807D-BB7014329EF4.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	25.5 KB 
ID:	177504

Update: price is $87 at Photographique in Dallas.
    Last edited by pchaplo; 26-Apr-2018 at 16:48. Reason: Price was wrong.
    Dallas Texas HABS / HAER / HALS Photography
    Photographer/Author Marfa Flights: Aerial Views of Big Bend Country (Texas A&M University Press)
    Petroleum Oil Pics