Thread: VAGEESWARI 8.5x15" film holder

VAGEESWARI 8.5x15" film holder

I purchased one holder a year or so ago with the intention of fashioning an adapter back for my 8X10 camera so I could use this holder to shoot trimmed down X-ray film, with the end result being cyanotype prints.
    The holder is (I assume) a plate holder but it came with some DIY inserts so I can shoot film.

Anyway, I have not gotten very far in my efforts (I have gotten no where).

I am sort of rethinking before I even begin and I need some advice: Since I won't be able to buy any (X-ray) film in this format I would have to buy large and trim down. Naturally, I would want to minimize waste.

What size of film, if any, is available for trimming to 8.5X15"?

And if no film will work, is there a B&W printing paper size that would be a good idea to try for making paper negs?

In other words, if there is no manufactured light sensitive material that I could use in this holder, why go through the effort of fabricating a back for my camera (questions I should have asked myself before purchasing the holder in the first place)...
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/52893762/bigger4b.jpg

Re: VAGEESWARI 8.5x15" film holder

hahahaha - exactly how all my 'projects' start

good luck in your quest

M.

Looks like FP4 was cut to that size in the last Ilford run. There was also a special order run done in Europe but I can't recall the name of the manufacturer. My current plan is to cut 14 x 17 x-ray film into two 14 x 8.5 sheets.

Thanks Paul - looks like that will be the direction I go - 14X17 X-ray film.

Thoughts on building an extension back for my 8X10 so I can use this holder:

I fabricated a ground-glass back out of cardboard, taped a 4X5" ground-glass in the center and cut small corners out at the 15" mark so I could look thru them to see how the lens coverage looked.

I have two lenses that look like they will cover this format at infinity:

Apo-Nikkor 450mm (17.5")
    Seems to easily cover this format, though I have no idea what the image circle is.
    When focused at infinity the aperture is perfectly round in the corners at f/16 – ground-glass back has to be about 8.5” from rear standard to avoid any vignetting when focused at max bellows extension – which should enable focusing as close as about 6-8' from subject.

B&L 11X14 1c (15.5” / 395mm)
    Looks like it will cover at infinity, but aperture is perfectly round when viewed thru the corners only at minimum aperture of f/32.

My plan is to make the back out of plywood. I will also fabricate a ground-glass mounted in a removable frame so that it is inserted and removed just like the film holder.

I will be shooting X-ray film and / or paper negatives. As for X-ray film, either 7X17 cut down to 7X15 - or - 14X17 cut down to 8.5X14

I welcome any input or ideas - I am anxious to get started...all because of that damn 7X17 thread in the image sharing section...

Well, reviving this thread some 4 years later. I tend to procrastinate since so often I make errors in design, measurements, and cutting. I would like to blame my lack of access to the proper tools, but that would not be honest - I simply lack skills and patience.

Enough self deprecation.

I built the back and the ground-glass and frame some couple years back, but got frustrated with design flaws, recently tackled and corrected them and finally did a test shot.

I haven't purchased any film yet because I wanted to check for light-leaks. I cut two sheets of 8X10 X-ray film and put them side-by-side in the holder. Just did a quick clone-out to hide the joint. My intention once I get some larger X-ray film (7X17) and trim to fit, is to make 7X15 cyanotype prints.

Shot some green sensitive X-ray @ ISO 50 with Apo-Nikkor 450mm f/9 @ f/16, 2 sec. exp., processed in Rodinal 1:100, 68° for 4 min.

I have been looking at this format as well in recent weeks - scouring the bay for holders - Adox cuts their film in this format regularly I understand...
    Website of sorts, as well as flickr thing.

Great Big Camera!

Like all of it

I made 8X16 verticals from 2 8X10 X-Ray some time ago, never thought of stitching

Quote Originally Posted by Randy View Post
    Well, reviving this thread some 4 years later. I tend to procrastinate since so often I make errors in design, measurements, and cutting. I would like to blame my lack of access to the proper tools, but that would not be honest - I simply lack skills and patience.

Enough self deprecation.

I built the back and the ground-glass and frame some couple years back, but got frustrated with design flaws, recently tackled and corrected them and finally did a test shot.

I haven't purchased any film yet because I wanted to check for light-leaks. I cut two sheets of 8X10 X-ray film and put them side-by-side in the holder. Just did a quick clone-out to hide the joint. My intention once I get some larger X-ray film (7X17) and trim to fit, is to make 7X15 cyanotype prints.

Shot some green sensitive X-ray @ ISO 50 with Apo-Nikkor 450mm f/9 @ f/16, 2 sec. exp., processed in Rodinal 1:100, 68° for 4 min.
    Tin Can

Awesome job, Randy!