Thread: error on that auction site

lazy retired bum

error on that auction site

I follow auctions for Arca Swiss cameras on that auction site. I do not own an Arca but do enjoy the fantasy.

I'd like to let anyone contemplating a camera purchase know of a somewhat misleading auction on "that" site. It is for an Arca Swiss 4x5 camera, listed as "F-line."

The good news is that there are decent photos of the camera. The bad news is that it's not what I believe most people would call an F-line, the newer model. It is clearly the older model camera.

I emailed the seller through the auction site and requested he change the listing as to be less misleading. He felt I was being "outrageous."

Caveat emptor.

Eric

If it is actually an F line - regardless of model - then I can't fault him. He has pictures. And as with anything on that site... you should tread carefully when you buy.

As far as I can rely on my knowledge of what an Arca Swiss F-line camera is, including models built in the years just following 1984 (which still use low-profile rails type I) the camera listed on 'that' auction site features :

- silver-finish rails, F-line rails are black,

- function carriers and format frames older than those used on a F-line. Function carriers as can be seen on the picture are totally different from those used on F-line cameras in the second half of the '80s.. there is no claping lever on F-line cameras, only knobs, the semi-cylinder is reversed wiwth respect to F-line function carries, etc...

- a flat lensboard, F-line use a recessed lens board

- lens axis tilts, a feature abandoned on F-lines

- old-style Arca Swiss logo from the Oschwald Brother Times.

Difficult, however to see whether the bellows clamping sytems are F-line or pre-F...

"caveat emptor", for sure.

Beverly Hills, California

That's right, if he has pictures, he's probably emphasizing 'F line' merely to attract interest in his auction. That's fair.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7519977448&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEBI%3AIT&rd=1

My comment:
    "it's not any sort of f-line. it is the earlier model."

His reply:
    "i purchased the camera new, it is the original f line. the current newer model has been through many modifications through the years."

Dumb!

The seller has updated his auction listing.

As others have correctly stated, that camera is definitely NOT an F-Line. While the basic modular concept is the same, there are numerous differences. The most significant is the format frames are made from molded plastic, not machined metal like the F-Line. The bellows frames are also different.

It's a good, cheap, lightweight monorail, but far from a real F-Line. Selling prices for these older Arca Swiss monorails usually top out in the $400 range, sometimes considerably less, depending on condition and included accessories. Prices for a used F-Line typically run 4 - 5x as much.

Kerry

What is "that auction site?" Do you mean e bay? If it's e bay you mean why not just say so, there's no law against identifying ebay by name.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.