Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Weegee fact or? 1/200 with flashbulbs?

Re: Weegee fact or? 1/200 with flashbulbs?

Quote Originally Posted by BrianShaw View Post
    In terms of flash duration... those bulbs are waaaaaaaaaaaay out there, Jac. Does that filament burn from top-to-bottom (or bottom-to-top)? Or have you never looked into the bulb whilst it was burning????
    Very good!

Brian, I have not yet fired one! Frankly, they scare me. I'm hoping to find a collaborator who wishes to experiment. I also have a few Mazda #75 bulbs that I wouldn't load without welding gloves and goggles.

The other thing that you need to remember is that Weegee was a world class Bullsh**ter, and anything you read about him should be taken with a grain of salt!
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)

In 2016 we try to make the numbers add up, but having lived through the era of brute force, and I always seem to parallel to automobiles, in that era you had 315 horse power under the hood but everyone knew you only needed 55 of those to get from stoplight to stoplight. Weegee could waste lumens and photons like crazy. He had a formula that worked, and the rest could go to waste.

As to art, maybe if I wait long enough, my crap will be considered art. But, oh yeah, I'll be as dead as weegee by then.

multiplex

as jr "bob" dobbs said " too much is always better than not enough "

Quote Originally Posted by Bill_1856 View Post
    For you youngsters: These cameras were fired by solenoids powered by the batteries in the flashguns, and the sync delay was determined not by the shutter, but by the adjustment of the solenoid/shutter trip lever.
    There's a hell of a lot of light in a Press 40 flashbulb.
    And the synch delay in the shutter. That timed the shutter to be fully open when the bulb reached its peak output. If it was electronic X synch then the shutter fired the flash when the film was fully uncovered be the shutter.

The solenoid only fired the shutter, not the bulb.

In other words, the solenoid fired the shutter, the shutter fired the flash. Both were powered by the batteries in the flash holder.

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon View Post
    And the synch delay in the shutter. That timed the shutter to be fully open when the bulb reached its peak output. If it was electronic X synch then the shutter fired the flash when the film was fully uncovered be the shutter.

The solenoid only fired the shutter, not the bulb.

In other words, the solenoid fired the shutter, the shutter fired the flash. Both were powered by the batteries in the flash holder.
    Typo, Bob? Flashbulb triggered by a shutter on "X" would cause the shutter to open before the rise-time of the flashbulb burn.

I think you meant "X synch then the shutter fired the flash when the film was fully covered by the shutter."

But delay, whether induced by shutter or solenoid was only to get the shutter opened after the flashbulb burn started and as near the peak burn as possible (for full efficiency). When shutter speed is higher than 1/30 the exposure impact is due to the shutter being opened only during a smaller and smaller proportion of time during the flashbulb burn period. Burn time being essentially a bell curve and the area under the curve captured by shutter speeds greater than 1/30 being different... hence exposure correction needed.

But you know this... my diatribe is not intended to educate you, of course.

Quote Originally Posted by BrianShaw View Post
    Typo, Bob? Flashbulb triggered by a shutter on "X" would cause the shutter to open before the rise-time of the flashbulb burn.

I think you meant "X synch then the shutter fired the flash when the film was fully covered by the shutter."

But delay, whether induced by shutter or solenoid was only to get the shutter opened after the flashbulb burn started and as near the peak burn as possible (for full efficiency). When shutter speed is higher than 1/30 the exposure impact is due to the shutter being opened only during a smaller and smaller proportion of time during the flashbulb burn period. Burn time being essentially a bell curve and the area under the cucrve captured by shutter speeds greater than 1/30 being different... hence exposure correction needed.

But you know this... my diatribe is not intended to educate you, of course.
    No, I said that the shutter timed the firing the flash bulb to be open when the bulb hit peak outcome.
    If it was an electronic flash then it fired the flash when the shutter fully exposed the film, that was X synch.

What I didn't mention was F synch for gas filled bulbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Sampson View Post
    I've seen household-base flashbulbs that put out as much light as a 1000w/s flash.
    There's a scene in the Preston Sturges film "Sullivan's Travels" where you can see a press camera with one of these bulbs. I did a double take when I saw it and had to rewind + pause to confirm what I'd seen.
    "Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig."

seezee at Mercury Photo Bureau
    seezee on Flickr
    seezee's day-job at Messenger Web Design

No, I said that the shutter timed the firing the flash bulb to be open when the bulb hit peak outcome.
    If it was an electronic flash then it fired the flash when the shutter fully exposed the film, that was X synch.

Of the several solenoids I have, the only adjustment is for length of throw which simply guarantees that the shutter is triggered. The shutter incorporates the delay(s). One particular shutter has three different settings for delay on a small dial.

An oddball flash is the Flash Tronic which accepts all kinds of bulbs and it does not use a battery. Instead it has a magneto built in and uses an adjustable cam to control delay which requires disassembly. Most of mine mount on the side of the camera, however there are some oddball mounts including one for early LTM Leicas.

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

Got it. I misread your words. Sorry.