Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Weegee fact or? 1/200 with flashbulbs?

Re: Weegee fact or? 1/200 with flashbulbs?

You can sometimes find old Graphics with 10-16-100 carved into the top or back somewhere, that means 10 (ft) hyperfocal focusing distance, (f)16 aperture setting, and (1/)100th speed setting that with the Fast Pan (EI 50) film and a #5 flashbulb, the camera would shoot night or day like a big box camera...

There were some minor variations if the subject was close or far to this rule, but this was the baseline setting...

Steve K

1/200 would indicate a Compur shutter of the period with a sync. Tested, that shutter speed would very likely be closer to 1/50th - 1/80th second. They never achieved the advertised, especially at the top end. He probably used GE #50 bulbs. Common as dirt for press photogs in the day. After a few hundred pics you just learn a foolproof bulletproof formula and consistency is achieved. The system was brute force. He didn't have to think about focus. Rack it out to the stop which is set for 10 - 15 feet, and the f16 takes care of the rest. With a loupe, the images would not impress us as terribly sharp, but news photogs did not care about that. The halftone process would take care of the rest. He wasn't making art.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Galli View Post
    1/200 would indicate a Compur shutter of the period with a sync. Tested, that shutter speed would very likely be closer to 1/50th - 1/80th second.
    Thanks, I think there's our answer. This page...

http://camera-wiki.org/wiki/Flashbulbs

...cites durations of roughly 10 ms for F, X and S bulbs. At 1/200 you'd be throwing away a lot of the light and compromising your guide number, at 1/50-1/80 you should be getting all the punch you've paid for.

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

Somebody might want to google "flash efficiency factor". When shutter speed gets faster than about 1/60, some of the flash light is lost. At 1/200 a lot of it is lost so exposure must be compensated accordingly.

But maybe one really needs an old book. Seems like the internet is too high tech to yield such archaic information!

One can observe the concept in the guide number tables, for example:

https://www.graflex.org/flash/ge-5.html
    Last edited by BrianShaw; 25-Jan-2017 at 07:38. Reason: changed 2/200 shutter speed to 1/200 for correctness

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Galli View Post
    ....He wasn't making art.
    ....but it turned out that way just the same.

I shot many high school dances using film packs (probably Tri-X) using big ole' #22 bulbs. Was probably shooting at f-8 or 11, but can't remember what shutter speed for the life of me.

Quote Originally Posted by BrianShaw View Post
    Somebody might want to google "flash efficiency factor". When shutter speed gets faster than about 1/60, some of the flash light is lost. At 2/200 a lot of it is lost so exposure must be compensated accordingly.

But maybe one really needs an old book. Seems like the internet is too high tech to yield such archaic information!

One can observe the concept in the guide number tables, for example:

https://www.graflex.org/flash/ge-5.html
    Yes, old books! Navy manual as found at http://www.graflex.org/flash/navy/ has all the answers presented in a smart way. Even showing how to analyze flashbulbs and sync by photographing them with Azo. Heck my Speed was made in 1951, my birth year and a year the Navy book was published.

I also have some very old, undated Azo that works well for me.

As for Art...

He left the building.
    Last edited by Tin Can; 25-Jan-2017 at 00:28. Reason: add sync

The answer appears to have been made, so an aside: I have a dozen of these bulbs. Duration almost two seconds, peak for ~1.75 seconds. You can fit a lot of 1/200th second exposures in there.

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

In terms of flash duration... those bulbs are waaaaaaaaaaaay out there, Jac. Does that filament burn from top-to-bottom (or bottom-to-top)? Or have you never looked into the bulb whilst it was burning????

For you youngsters: These cameras were fired by solenoids powered by the batteries in the flashguns, and the sync delay was determined not by the shutter, but by the adjustment of the solenoid/shutter trip lever.
    There's a hell of a lot of light in a Press 40 flashbulb.
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)