Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Weegee fact or? 1/200 with flashbulbs?

Re: Weegee fact or? 1/200 with flashbulbs?

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Galli View Post
    Weegee could waste lumens and photons like crazy. He had a formula that worked, and the rest could go to waste.
    One would learn from experience how to settle on their own flash method. So what if a shutter is open for less time than the flash duration? With as much light as those flashbulbs output one might only need a portion of the flash duration to properly expose a sheet of film. Especially at less than 15 feet away (look at those old photos, prone man 5 feet from the camera, crowd 15 feet away). Then tailor film speed and developing to that normal exposure. Once dialed in it's the same again and again.

Quote Originally Posted by David Lobato View Post
    [...]Then tailor film speed and developing to that normal exposure. Once dialed in it's the same again and again.
    Hah. Weegee tailoring his development? From the trunk of his car or home? I think not.

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

It's not about wasting or conserving lumens. It's about knowing how many lumens the film sees. That's done mostly with exposure settings; not so much with processing mods.

I don't recall any of my pre WW2 shutters having sync posts.
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

Quote Originally Posted by Bill_1856 View Post
    I don't recall any of my pre WW2 shutters having sync posts.
    True, I have the same memory/observation... but why is that an impediment?

Quote Originally Posted by BrianShaw View Post
    True, I have the same memory/observation... but why is that an impediment?
    Yea, the earlier solenoid systems were the standard, but the later delay sync shutters could be dialed in for different delays for different types of lamps... But most of the delay shutters sync had to be cocked, adding an extra step while fast shooting... And firing the flash from the flashholder made the condition of the sync contacts less critical, and less dependent of contact problems from cords, etc transferring enough low current from some batteries to reliably fire a bulb (but enough to trip the solenoid)... I'm sure there were photogs that were for or against each system...

At least sync triggering was later appreciated when early strobes came along, and if they had X sync, they were good to go...

Steve K

I was wondering about a lot of aspects of Weegee's technique.
    In the back of my copy of Naked City Weegee mentioned that he used Kodak Super Panchro Press Type B. I have no idea about the speed (in modern ASA) that film would have had back in the 1940's.
    He didn't say what bulbs he used. I assume that with the 200th sec he wanted to exclude ambient light.

Lately, as in last month, I shot # 2 bulbs with the B for bulb setting on my shutter

Open B, hand fire the slow big bulb, shut B
    Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Sampson View Post
    Randy, I believe that the fastest b/w film at the time of WW2 was Super-XX @ ASA 200. I believe ASA 40 was 'fast' in 1930. Photojournalists would regularly use paper developer (e.g. Dektol) with film to gain speed and contrast. But figuring these things out accurately would take some research... different films used different speed ratings, ASA, Weston, Schooner, DIN, etc. And I recall reading that the American Standards Association changed their measurement methods in the '50s, making Tri-X ASA 400 instead of 200... There were other films meant for PJ work with flash, as well; Kodak made Super Panchro-Press Type B, Royal Pan, and maybe more. The big bulbs they used, too, would have made slower films practical; I've seen household-base flashbulbs that put out as much light as a 1000w/s flash. I'm rambling here, this is all before my time, but maybe an old handbook like "Graphic Graflex Photography" or a vintage Kodak Photoguide would be more help.
    Speaking from experience I must say that there was no ASA in the 1930's. Most photographers used Weston speeds, as did most meters. Super XX was rated at Weston 100, not ASA 200. I must have uysed 1,000 sheets of SUper XX, and still have a little bit in the freezer.

'Modern' Blue Dot Sylvania no. 2 bulbs are as big as 100 watt incandescent with the same medium screw e26/27 base. 70,000 lumen seconds.

They list possible 'Tungsten Film Speeds' from 10 to 500, ASA is not mentioned. No Zip Code is one clue to age of the sealed case I opened. Zip Code was invented in 1944.

ASA came into use in 1943.

The cardboard box is stamped 'Union Camp' which was formed in 1956.

Untitled by TIN CAN COLLEGE, on Flickr

Untitled by TIN CAN COLLEGE, on Flickr
    Tin Can