Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Weegee fact or? 1/200 with flashbulbs?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Weegee fact or? 1/200 with flashbulbs?

While writing a note, I researched Weegee today.

From Wikipedia,

"Photographic technique[edit]
    Most of his notable photographs were taken with very basic press photographer equipment and methods of the era, a 4x5 Speed Graphic camera preset at f/16 at 1/200 of a second, with flashbulbs and a set focus distance of ten feet.[7] He was a self-taught photographer with no formal photographic training.[citation needed] Weegee developed his photographs in a homemade darkroom in the rear of his car."

I am wondering if 1/200 a second shutter speed is too fast for flashbulbs? Is wikipedia wrong?

I think I have seen Weegee photos with 2 and 3 flashbulb handles. Maybe his 'blast' of light did it.

I always set for way way slower like, 1/30th. One bulb.

Any ideas?

Complete Weegee Wiki here. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weegee
    Last edited by Tin Can; 24-Jan-2017 at 15:54. Reason: Add Wiki link

Re: Weegee fact or? 1/200 with flashbulbs?

Aren't these leaf shutter cameras that synchnat any speed?

No, different syncs fire the flash before the shutter open, so the flash impulse has time to peak when the shutter goes open if using a leaf shutter.

With a focal plane shutter, the flash has to glow the whole time the curtain is moving across the film and shutter speed is derived in part from the slit width.

Synchronization delay is a separate issue. What is the "burn time" for the bulbs typically used, and how long does the shutter need to stay open in order not to lose too much of the illumination? 1/200 sounds too fast to me too, but I don't have much intuition for the duration of bulb flash other than to think that it must be substantially longer than that of electronic flashes in common use.

I think flashbulbs are rated as 15 to 30/1000 burn time. My strobes are up to 1/10,000 second.

The FP (focal plane) bulbs burn longest to keep light on the moving slit. Leaf shutters move differently.

This question may depend on which shutter Weegee was using.

Stuck inside of Tucson with the Neverland Blues again...

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Moe View Post
    This question may depend on which shutter Weegee was using.
    Synched to the leaf shutter...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails aaaaaaaaaa.jpg  
    "I love my Verito lens, but I always have to sharpen everything in Photoshop..."

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Sawyer View Post
    Synched to the leaf shutter...
    OK, I will try that. Flashbulb, f16, 1/200 and be there. I have a Ham Transceiver that picks up local Police. I hear the news too soon. Like 3 days before it's reported...

Love that wire 'Sports Finder' they work well.

Do you have any idea how fast his film was?

Thanks

http://camera-wiki.org/wiki/Flashbulbs

http://www.wikiwand.com/en/Flash_(ph...y)#/Flashbulbs

The problem is all our shutters and FP cameras are now very old.

My 1951 Speed does have a flash bulb bipin fitting connected to contacts for the moving curtain. My curtain works fine, the contacts must be corroded as they do not work.

My camera looks like new. I have tried the FP flash feature.

Leaf shutters HAD delay also but do to not work very good now and shutter repair has become a lost art.

Solenoids delays also existed, but most are disconnected, failed or hard to adjust.

I have tried all methods.

Yet I do believe an expert at flash bulbs like WeeGee could shoot at 1/200 anytime he wanted, which may have not been necessary at all times. Since he shot a lot of static crime scenes where nothing moves.

A synchronous event is happening near me!

Bloodhoundbob and I are going to the local college, SIUC tuesday to see an exhibition of the local flash bulb expert!

I assume he used many large flashbulbs for his LF cave negatives. They are still the preferred lighting method as they are small, lightweight and very powerful.

Charles Swedlund photograph exhibit of various caves in the region

Flash bulbs are still made in Republic of Ireland for movies, caving and large empty buildings.
    Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Moe View Post
    My 1951 Speed does have a flash bulb bipin fitting connected to contacts for the moving curtain. My curtain works fine, the contacts must be corroded as they do not work.

My camera looks like new. I have tried the FP flash feature.
    Randy, FWIW, on my Pacemaker Speed Graphic, the focal plane shutter curtain only has sync contacts for the bi-pin connector on the 1/30 speed. None of the other speeds have contacts nor will trigger the flash. I'm not sure if this is the case or not for the earlier versions.

Just to contribute to this conversation, here is the procedure I use for setting up the solenoids on my Graphics. I don't remember where I found it, either online, or in one of the 'Graflex Graphic Photography' books. It works for me-YMMV:

The following instructions are applicable to solenoids mounted in a clamp type mount shown in Figure 2. The same instructions may be used as a guide when adjusting solenoids mounted in a bracket type mount shown in Figure 3.

1.Loosen clamp screw so that the solenoid may be moved up or down
    2.Connect solenoid release lever link to shutter release lever stud.
    NOTE: The solenoid should be located in the mount perpendicular to the shutter release lever so that the solenoid armature is pulling straight into the coil assembly of the solenoid on its downward travel.
    3.Set shutter at its top speed and cock. I've seen suggestions of using second to highest speed-RJR
    4.Connect a solenoid cord from the solenoid to the SOLENOID outlet in battery case.
    5.Press battery case switch button and hold. This will permit the solenoid armature to remain in the downward position until completion of the next step.
    6.Slowly move solenoid away from shutter until shutter releases. Tighten clamp screw.
    7.The solenoid armature should be at the bottom of its stroke when the shutter release lever is at the point of tripping. To test this adjustment,
    cock the shutter and slowly press down by hand on the shutter release lever. At the exact point where the shutter releases, energize the solenoid by pressing the battery case switch button and hold. There should be no further movement of the shutter release lever.
    8.Slowly back off solenoid cap until shutter holds in cocked position. Check adjustment by operating the solenoid. Do not proceed to the next step until this adjustment is correct.
    9.Set shutter on TIME position and cock. Allow at least one second after cocking before pressing the battery case switch button. The shutter should open. Pressing the battery case switch button again should close the shutter. If the shutter fails to operate, proceed with the following adjustments, as required.
    10.Adjust the solenoid cap by slowly screwing downward until shutter opens. Test after each fractional turn.
    11.If shutter opens but will not close on TIME, the solenoid should be loosened in its mount and adjusted. Cock shutter. Pull down on solenoid until shutter releases. Move solenoid up in mount until shutter resets itself. A slight click will be noted. Tighten clamp screw to hold solenoid firmly in mount. Final adjustments can be made with cap adjustment (step 10).
    NOTE: Because of the length of stroke and return spring characteristics of some shutters, the shutter cannot be operated on TIME and BULB with a solenoid connected. Some shutters will not hold open on BULB.
    12.Test shutter synchronization by making practical test negatives. Synchronization may be tested with a reliable testing device also.
    13.After repeated adjustments, if shutter and solenoid can not be synchronized correctly, the shutter should be overhauled.
    Last edited by rjbuzzclick; 3-Feb-2019 at 16:09.
    Reid

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rjbuzzclick/

Reid, fantastic data!

I will try that soon as I just bought a good lens/shutter with solenoid and Speed lens board here on the forum.

I printed out your entire message and will seal it in plastic to hang on my wall.

I do that with things I want to keep handy and remember to do. Saving to computer does not work for long for me...

And that 1/30th curtain speed is a vital tip. I felt the contacts, but may have not used 1/30th.

Thank you!
    Tin Can