Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question About Picture Glass and The Epson V800 Scanner

Question About Picture Glass and The Epson V800 Scanner

When scanning my 4x5 negatives, I like to place them on the Epson Fluid Mount Holder and place a piece of Picture Anti-Reflectant glass on top of the negative to keep the negative perfectly flat.

I always place the emulsion side down so it faces the scanner optics and then place the glass on top of the negative, etched side down.

I have read that Anti-Newton Ring glass is the suggested method but its pretty hard to find here in the UK and I am wondering if using this picture anti-refectant glass is compromising the scan by not using Anti-Newton ring glass.

Not sure what the difference is to be honest.

Re: Question About Picture Glass and The Epson V800 Scanner

Also, is AN glass necessary if you're wet mounting? Instead of glass on top, I use Aztek scanner overlay film and never have rings with the wet mount process. Though I guess you didn't actually say you were wet mounting.... ???

-CB

Wet mounting is so simple and quick I totally recommend it. I actually timed it and mounting a 4 x 5 took all of 23 seconds.

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Barrett View Post
    Also, is AN glass necessary if you're wet mounting? Instead of glass on top, I use Aztek scanner overlay film and never have rings with the wet mount process. Though I guess you didn't actually say you were wet mounting.... ???

-CB

Initially, I just dry scan to get a feel of the overall exposure and development. If the photograph is for a sale or going out to print, then I will wet scan

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Davis View Post
    There is very little difference between the two.
    Some matte picture glass may have a relatively coarse structure that can end up within the depth of field of the sensor array of the scanner, resulting in artifacts across the entire image area and/degradation of fine details. If you don't experience these issues, then there's obviously no reason to revise your workflow.

Quote Originally Posted by IanBarber View Post
    Initially, I just dry scan to get a feel of the overall exposure and development. If the photograph is for a sale or going out to print, then I will wet scan
    What is it like if you dry scan on the fluid mount without additional glass? I've bought the fluid mount, but I am balking at the cost for Kami liquid and tape (for now). Is there really a significant difference with the fluid? (I'm scanning 5x7 negative, so the dry scan film holder is not an option for me).
    Instagram username: @AlmosLataan

My Website

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Andrada View Post
    Wet mounting is so simple and quick I totally recommend it. I actually timed it and mounting a 4 x 5 took all of 23 seconds.
    How long to cleanup?

Quote Originally Posted by MilamBardo View Post
    What is it like if you dry scan on the fluid mount without additional glass? I've bought the fluid mount, but I am balking at the cost for Kami liquid and tape (for now). Is there really a significant difference with the fluid? (I'm scanning 5x7 negative, so the dry scan film holder is not an option for me).
    Ok, I just dry scanned on the fluid mount. Seemed to work fine. Didn't notice much of a difference between this and scanning directly on the glass, but I'm not much of a pixel peeper. Maybe the image was a little smoother, but could just be the settings on the scan. So was it worth 124? Well, perhaps I should reserve that judgement for when/if I wet mount it.

My Website

Drew Wiley

NO. Don't bother with etched picture frame glass. Not the same thing as ANR at all. But you shouldn't need even that if you fluid mount. Fluid has to be cleaned off afterwards of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    NO. Don't bother with etched picture frame glass. Not the same thing as ANR at all. But you shouldn't need even that if you fluid mount. Fluid has to be cleaned off afterwards of course.
    Knight Optical make ANR glass in the UK, about 110 for a 5x7 piece(I asked them) So, about the same cost as Kami fluid, tape, pec pads. At least for me here in Switzerland. Not sure anyone has ever done a comparison between the two,although presumably wet mounting would be a little better.

My Website