Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: INTREPID CAMERA 4X5 Gen 2 Users & Reviews

Re: INTREPID CAMERA 4X5 Gen 3 Users & Reviews

Having moved to a place that promises to be excessively hot in the summer (central Texas, USA) I'm wondering if black bellows might not get hot enough to radiate enough IR to mess up IR sensitive film. I'd go with a lighter color bellows regardless. As a clergyman who usually wears black, I need more color in my life!

Quote Originally Posted by Fr. Mark View Post
    Having moved to a place that promises to be excessively hot in the summer (central Texas, USA) I'm wondering if black bellows might not get hot enough to radiate enough IR to mess up IR sensitive film. I'd go with a lighter color bellows regardless. As a clergyman who usually wears black, I need more color in my life!
    What infrared film can you get that is that sensitive?

Quote Originally Posted by DCphotos View Post
    What infrared film can you get that is that sensitive?
    No idea. I suppose being a former chemistry major I ought to be able to remember how to calculate the wavelength from the temperature, it is probably too long wave for it to matter with film. As I wrote that it bugged me so, I looked it up and there was even a calculator for it on line. The answer is that any temperature the bellows gets to that doesn't set it on fire it won't matter for the kind of IR sensitivity that photographic films have. i.e. 100 centigrade is 7 microns or 7000nm waaaay too long to worry about. Now I feel silly having asked. I should've known better or figured it out for myself.

Quote Originally Posted by DCphotos View Post
    I got Randy at holgamods to beef up and redesign boards for my Bush Pressman and they fit like a glove. He is printing Linhoff boards for me now they are $22.50 each. If you aren't familiar he is a guy that modifys holgas, restores old brownies, prints pinhole cameras, etc. Highly recommended him and he does a lot of neat stuff.
    Maybe it's just me, but $22.50 for a 3D printed lensboard sounds steep considering you can buy new high-quality aluminum boards for $13.79 shipped (I'm using two of them now).

http://www.ebay.com/itm/141852029767...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Quote Originally Posted by BIT Saddle View Post
    Maybe it's just me, but $22.50 for a 3D printed lensboard sounds steep considering you can buy new high-quality aluminum boards for $13.79 shipped (I'm using two of them now).

http://www.ebay.com/itm/141852029767...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
    Now you tell me! That is an amazing deal. I have ordered some arca swiss plates from China and they were so low priced I don't know how they do it. I think the regular plates were $2 with shipping and an l-plate for my leica was $7.

Just a quick update to my mini-review a couple pages back. Max and I discussed the matter, and I ended up with the latest model 4x5 at a small discount, which satisfied me completely. I've taken it out a couple times now and it is better in practically all the ways I complained about; the only one that I'm not sure about yet is that the front standard is still capable of pivoting around the locking screw, but, unlike the first model, it hasn't happened to me yet: it seems to lock down a bit better. I'm very happy with the camera in general. As I mentioned then, it's a go-anywhere, not-precious instrument that extends the places and times when I can shoot, so it's all to the good.

In the meanwhile, I think I'm going to turn the old one into a graflarger-style enlarger, just for amusement purposes. Now that it's spare to requirements, I feel freed up to try more intrusive means of addressing its shortcomings as well...

Robert

who has experience with the 8x10 camera?

Quote Originally Posted by gmfotografie View Post
    who has experience with the 8x10 camera?
    No one out here in the wilds; they haven't shipped, yet.

I'd forgotten about this camera having been out of photography for a while. Now I'm interested in both - the 4x5 and the 8x10. I really need to replace my aging and barely-functional Technicka III for 4x5, and this 8x10 brand new is less expensive than almost any 8x10 field you'd find used.

Intriguing!

Schlawiner Hormoniker

Hello,

here is a very broad review in german language: http://http://www.recenseo.ch/foto/intrepid.htm

Its about sturdiness, fuzzy operations that get into the workflow with this camera, the ability to use 6x9cm backs.

You CAN produce sharp images with this camera, but there is a learning curve. A Wista 45N is far more intuitive and costs as much as the Intrepid 4x5.

Regards
    Last edited by schammass; 23-Nov-2017 at 11:04. Reason: Correction