Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: INTREPID CAMERA 4X5 Gen 2 Users & Reviews

Re: INTREPID CAMERA 4X5 Gen 3 Users & Reviews

One interesting thing about current shipping Intrepids is they include no literature of any kind.

No invoice.

No Business card.

No instructions.

No written warranty.

No URL.

The camera body has a barely visible burnt/pressing on the bottom that says, 'The Intrepid Camera'. In the wrong light, I don't even see it.

Subtle.

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Moe View Post
    One interesting thing about current shipping Intrepids is they include no literature of any kind.

No invoice.

No Business card.

No instructions.

No written warranty.

No URL.

The camera body has a barely visible burnt/pressing on the bottom that says, 'The Intrepid Camera'. In the wrong light, I don't even see it.

Subtle.
    I must admit I have been looking at these cameras and the one big plus point for me is I live 1/2 hour from their workshop.

Quote Originally Posted by MAubrey View Post
    It might be worth contacting them to ask about the nature of the coating. At the very least, the UK is a very damp place, albeit not super cold.
    Done that a week ago twice. Have yet to hear from them back. Seems that they ignore emails and pms on facebook.

Intrepid Camera

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Moe View Post

No invoice.

No Business card.

No instructions.

No written warranty.

No URL.

Subtle.
    Hi Randy, The invoice and instructions are emailed out, no sense in wasting paper, can send you a physical copy if you need one though. we are working on putting something formal together for a warranty but as it stands the deal is we will fix the camera for as long as you have it, if you broke it you pay shipping, if its a manufacturing issue we pay shipping, simple as that really, only thing that we can't replace or repair for free is the ground glass. We are a small company so can all ways just talk about things and come to a fair arrangement with any repairs.

Quote Originally Posted by vnukov_pk View Post
    Done that a week ago twice. Have yet to hear from them back. Seems that they ignore emails and pms on facebook.
    Hello, sorry we have not got back to you, we have had loads of interest from people over the last couple of weeks which is great but it means we are behind on emails, the coating is OSMO Polyx Oil, its a very high quality and well regarded wax oil mixture. we have had no problems with it in damp weather and a lot of UK carpenters swear by the stuff.

Happy to stick around in this post and answer any questions people have about the Camera,

Best, Maxim (guy who started Intrepid Camera)

I'm waiting eagerly to see the 8x10. What I'd like (not a deal-killer, though) is a no-finish option. Then I'd finish mine entirely in black. With an anything-repelling oil/wax finish, you're stuck with "wood" forever.
    Thanks, but I'd rather just watch:
    Large format: http://flickr.com/michaeldarnton
    Mostly 35mm: http://flickr.com/mdarnton
    You want digital, color, etc?: http://www.flickr.com/photos/stradofear

Quote Originally Posted by Max Grew View Post
    Happy to stick around in this post and answer any questions people have about the Camera
    Let me chip in on this question, any teasers on the Intrepid 8x10 rumours? :-)

Intrepid Camera

Sure! so here is what is fairly certain so far

- 2.2kg
    - 311mm x 311mm x 74mm folded
    - More that adequate front movements
    - 35° rear tilt (both directions)
    - Max bellows 600mm
    - Min bellows 100mm
    - Sinar lens board mount
    - between £425 - £500

We have some photos up of the prototype on our facebook page but here is the best one

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2017-02-18 at 17.30.45.jpg 
Views:	114 
Size:	49.5 KB 
ID:	161445

We are looking to launch the camera towards the end of March, hopefully a bit sooner.

Nice to see bi-directional rear tilt. It can really help when you don't have a lot of lens coverage to spare. Time to start saving...!

Good to see you (Max) here!

Sinar sized front standard is excellent.

Framed bellows with latch fitment front and back (like Sinar bellows) would be nice. An extra, perhaps? And you would improve your environment in the workshop without glue fumes.
    We, who use lenses without shutters, could use the Copal/Sinar shutter which we already have.

Hope you solve the taper bellows folding challenges of the 8x10.
    Last edited by Steven Tribe; 18-Feb-2017 at 16:38.

Intrepid Camera

Hi Steven, thanks for the welcome,

We were not planning on having framed bellows, the way we do it now is completely light tight and whilst the fumes from contact glue can be a bit annoying its a small price to pay to keep the part count down! It is something we could look at though, is there much of an advantage to framed bellows?

we have done a few iterations of the bellows now and the camera folds down very nicely, there must be a magic ratio somewhere for the front to fold perfectly into the back, so they compress to the thickness of one rib, we were lucky enough to get it on the third go though!