Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4121314

Thread: INTREPID CAMERA 4X5 Gen 2 Users & Reviews

Re: INTREPID CAMERA 4X5 Gen 2 Users & Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by JoeV View Post
    FYI, my Intrepid came shipped to me with various edges and corners already chipped off. So far, these are merely cosmetic defects and don't effect the camera's operation. But they are due to the nature of laminated wood. For the price I don't expect cherry wood and brass. But realistically, a better material could have been chosen.
    The wood is what still holds me back after eyeballing the camera since the release (kickstarter). It doesn't have to be cherry wood, but there are enough woods that are not plywood to achieve good aesthetics and a sturdy yet light construction. I am looking forward to seeing version 3, but if it is still plywood I'd rather go for a slightly more expensive Japanese wooden field camera, with a better build and smoother operation any day.

Intrepid Camera

Quote Originally Posted by McGirton View Post
    The wood is what still holds me back after eyeballing the camera since the release (kickstarter). It doesn't have to be cherry wood, but there are enough woods that are not plywood to achieve good aesthetics and a sturdy yet light construction. I am looking forward to seeing version 3, but if it is still plywood I'd rather go for a slightly more expensive Japanese wooden field camera, with a better build and smoother operation any day.
    Hello, the 3rd Generation Intrepid will again be made from Birch Plywood, for the reasons detailed in the post before yours, it is unlikely we will use other woods, in particular for items we make lots of like the 4x5 camera. Basically if we wan't them to be affordable they need to be made from Birch Plywood, it also so happens to be the ideal wood for a large format camera (aesthetic preference aside, I actually like the way it looks though). Maybe we will do some much smaller batches of other wood cameras in the future, but for now we have our niche and are more than happy in it

The choice of birch ply for a very large wooden section is absolutely correct both as regards stability and cost.

The use of solid hard woods for this section is just not possible. I have had a lot of hard wood cameras from the "golden era" through my hands, "mahogany" made from various periods, walnut, cherry and varieties of teak and rosewood. All of them have been properly finished and the construction of parts has been been done by cabinet makers using hundreds of years of tradition about which assemblies work best. But they still dry out, twist and crack - perhaps, in part, due to our central heated houses. Even well designed massive sections come apart at the joints - the Deardorff base comes apart (sometimes) at the 4 corner glued assemblies due to shrinking.

Now the design of the base of the Intepid means that at single piece of wood is required . The use of even super well seasoned wood of one of the renowned varieties would be nightmare for the owner - if not on delivery, then certainly within a decade. Not such much cracking, but twisting, as it is not secured to anything else apart from screws.

We also must admit that the quality of timbers available in these FSC plantation days are not the same as those forested when these timbers got their reputation. I have worked with timber (Baltic pine) from a building that was erected in the 1820's from trees that had a yearly growth of under 1mm and still smelt of harpics. I note that the lens boards for the intrepid is made of cherry - not quite the cherry appearance I am used to seeing!

Do you have an ETA for the Gen 3 4x5? What will the differences be?

Serious Amateur Photographer pepeguitarra's Avatar

Re: INTREPID CAMERA 4X5 Gen 3 Users & Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Max Grew View Post
    Hello, we use a marine grade of shock cord for the back designed to last out on a boat so I don't think you should have any problems with it wearing out anytime soon, if you do though, its easy to replace and we will always be happy to do that for you for free or show you how.

Max Grew - Intrepid Camera
    You can buy enough cord for life here:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Charcoal-...&wl13=&veh=sem

Re: INTREPID CAMERA 4X5 Gen 3 Users & Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by pepeguitarra View Post
    You can buy enough cord for life here:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Charcoal-...&wl13=&veh=sem
    Thanks for the tip, and link! I can make use of that cord.....

seems like the 4x5 is updated again:

saw tweeted:..."Now in it's third generation the 4x5 MK3 camera sees various updates including: tilt and swing on the rear standard, an extra sturdy base plate, fully rotating back and leaf springs to hold the ground glass and film holders!"...

they say tilt and swing on the rear standard, but the new video on their site doesnt show this feature unfortunatelly

https://intrepidcamera.co.uk/products/intrepid-camera

Watch the video until it shows the back. It looks like the rear mountings are slotted on the base with thumbscrews. Maybe +/- 15 to 20 degrees? Rear tilt is shown, though it goes by quickly.