Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: INTREPID CAMERA 4X5 Gen 2 Users & Reviews

Re: INTREPID CAMERA 4X5 Gen 3 Users & Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by schammass View Post
    Hello,

here is a very broad review in german language: http://http://www.recenseo.ch/foto/intrepid.htm

Its about sturdiness, fuzzy operations that get into the workflow with this camera, the ability to use 6x9cm backs.

You CAN produce sharp images with this camera, but there is a learning curve. A Wista 45N is far more intuitive and costs as much as the Intrepid 4x5.

Regards
    I read the instant translation. I know we all have other machines. Variation in design is useful.

Quote Originally Posted by schammass View Post
    Hello,

here is a very broad review in german language: http://http://www.recenseo.ch/foto/intrepid.htm

Its about sturdiness, fuzzy operations that get into the workflow with this camera, the ability to use 6x9cm backs.

You CAN produce sharp images with this camera, but there is a learning curve. A Wista 45N is far more intuitive and costs as much as the Intrepid 4x5.

Regards
    So a USED 4x5 camera can be found on the interweb for less then a NEW 4x5 camera.

What a shocker, I would never have guessed.

As for the intuitive or "fuzzy operations". I guess I am not sure where that comes from.

From my beginners perspective I have had no problem getting my Intrepid to work properly and to provide nice, sharp 4x5 negatives. As time goes by I get quicker at it so that must be the "learning curve."

I have a beautiful Deardorff V8 that I also love working with and that camera has taken me longer to learn to use then the Intrepid did.

Everyone has a different perspective based on their past experiences. Fortunately I didn't read any reviews before buying my Intrepid. If I had I may not have picked up this wonderful little camera.
    The Viewfinder is the Soul of the Camera

If you don't believe it, look into an 8x10 viewfinder!

Dan

Schlawiner Hormoniker

Quote Originally Posted by AuditorOne View Post
    So a USED 4x5 camera can be found on the interweb for less then a NEW 4x5 camera.
    What a shocker, I would never have guessed.
    As for the intuitive or "fuzzy operations". I guess I am not sure where that comes from.
    From my beginners perspective I have had no problem getting my Intrepid to work properly and to provide nice, sharp 4x5 negatives. As time goes by I get quicker at it so that must be the "learning curve."
    I have a beautiful Deardorff V8 that I also love working with and that camera has taken me longer to learn to use then the Intrepid did.
    Everyone has a different perspective based on their past experiences. Fortunately I didn't read any reviews before buying my Intrepid. If I had I may not have picked up this wonderful little camera.
    His 40 years old Wista seems to have a better build quality and therefore a better condition than his freshly delivered Intrepid. So what is "new" and what is "used"? He wondered about satisfaction of manufacturing a birch plywood camera. What means that he honors the effort and the skills while thinking about the pity to work with cheap materials.

But the author writes that he gets sharp images with his Intrepid.

He also wrote that he had to manage some difficulties to get there:

• lead time too long, he couldn't take the camera to the project he planned (11 weeks instead of 7)
    • too light to use with a 1000g Gitzo Weekend and a 400g Manfrotto 484 RC2: 2300g (camera & tripod) is not solid enough neither on soft forest soil (duff) nor with longer exposures times
    • wobbly front and rear standart (fixed with tape),
    • difficulties to fold the camera because of narrower distances on the lower zone of the front standarts,
    • difficulties to keep movements of the front standart e.g. keep tilt when shifting,
    • systematical defocus when shifting because of aberrant zero position,
    • too much space around the 6x9-back in its Graflock bed (fixed with tape),
    • too much space behind the lens board (fixed with tape),
    • displacement of focus by fixing the focus,
    • bottom of the flat-bed of the camera too thin, so there are vibrations (fixed with an extra large camera plate that is mounted firmly on the bottom),
    • issues when putting the film holder in the back because dragging force is eccentric, not central, what causes decentration of the camera,
    • overall build quality and missing final inspection

Appearently there is a challenge in learning to use this camera.

He emphasized that doing 6x9 with this camera is exceptionally pleasing because you can unmount the ground glass very easily. Perhaps this camera is a lightweigt rival to a Mamiya RZ67/RB67: this camera weights around 2500g plus 500-1000g for each lens. Now, imagine using an 6x9-Intrepid with a set of light and movable 65mm/135mm/210mm/300mm lenses.

I understand that your Deardorff V8 has taken you longer to learn to use than the Intrepid did. It is because of the Deardorff that you know how to use the Intrepid successfully today.

Regards

Thank you for taking the time to respond in such detail Shammass.

I cannot comment on the several apparent difficulties the author of the review experienced except to say that I have not experienced these same issues. Since mine is from the original Kickstarter project then there may have been significant modifications made between the versions that may have caused his problems. It does seem that the author really would have been happier with a larger and heavier camera like the Wista.

I bought the the Intrepid primarily for hiking and for that use the design, materials and construction of this camera is almost perfect. Fortunately I have not had to take extraordinary measures to get sharp images such as those apparently needed by the author of the review. Working with this camera has made me more aware of the need to ensure that all knobs are tightened down securely. They all impact this camera's stability. If you are expecting a camera this light to be as stable as a 7 lb metal camera then you will certainly be disappointed. However, that does not mean that this camera doesn't have good build quality. On the contrary, I think the build quality is exceptional considering the intent of the design. Everything on my camera was straight, true and installed properly. It did not arrive with missing hardware and everything worked exactly as intended. When set up properly it stays that way for me and takes the photograph that I expect. It remains that way today.

I use two very nice lenses with mine, a Schneider Angulon 90/6.8 and a Schneider Symmar 150/265 Convertible. It makes for a very, very handy kit while hiking. I have not yet tried the Graflex roll film holders in mine yet. This is something I'll have to try out. These roll film holders are a bit heavier then the Fidelity film holders so I don't think I'll pack them into the hills yet but it is certainly an option.

Again, thank you very much for your synopsis of the review. I do appreciate the amount of time this took and it was very helpful.

Dan

- 4x5 Version 3 for next year (via website, no Kickstarter)
    - For version 3 - bag bellows, base/bellows extender for macro, more movements, bubble levels
    - No 4x5 film holders
    - Converting an Intrepid to an enlarger (i.e. Graflarger)
    - 5x7 reducing back for the 8x10
    - First batch of 8x10 to be delivered early next year
    - Parts replacement seems to be free
    "Sex is like maths, add the bed, subtract the clothes, divide the whoo hoo and hope you don't multiply." - Leather jacket guy

Re: INTREPID CAMERA 4X5 Gen 2 Users & Reviews

At the OP's request, and reflecting information posted by the manufacturer of these cameras, the title of this thread has been corrected to clarify that the discussion is about the second-generation version of the camera, not the third, which as of this writing has not yet been released.

Re: INTREPID CAMERA 4X5 Gen 2 Users & Reviews

Has anyone used one of these with a Sinar Zoom rollfilm back? The back itself weight a pound or two, and I'm wondering if it's too heavy for the Intrepid to handle? I'm well-versed in woodworking and metalworking, so I wouldn't be opposed to adding a Graflok-style back taken from a view camera or something. My current body is a Technika III, and combined with the Sinar Zoom, it's one hell of a heavy kit. I hiked around Arizona with this and a tripod (25-30lbs backpack) - I could barely take it. The Intrepid seems nice and light, but I'm wondering if I sacrifice too much strength for what it offers?

Quote Originally Posted by ghostcount View Post

- 4x5 Version 3 for next year (via website, no Kickstarter)
    - For version 3 - bag bellows, base/bellows extender for macro, more movements, bubble levels
    - No 4x5 film holders
    - Converting an Intrepid to an enlarger (i.e. Graflarger)
    - 5x7 reducing back for the 8x10
    - First batch of 8x10 to be delivered early next year
    - Parts replacement seems to be free
    At last solid wood: that would be nice and stable and worth the effort.

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Casper Lohenstein View Post
    At last solid wood: that would be nice and stable and worth the effort.
    I missed any mention of using solid wood. In fact I heard just the opposite. I heard that they don't intend to move away from building their current birch plywood cameras. The cameras they currently build fit the inexpensive niche they have carved out for themselves and they are doing quite well inside that niche. They have no intention of competing with the more expensive camera manufacturers.

Of course I could be totally wrong here and should probably listen to the interview again.

Dan

In this instance, I would rather have plywood: in an application like this, it's better, not worse, functionally.
    Thanks, but I'd rather just watch:
    Large format: http://flickr.com/michaeldarnton
    Mostly 35mm: http://flickr.com/mdarnton
    You want digital, color, etc?: http://www.flickr.com/photos/stradofear