Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Confessions of a camera junkie

Eric Woodbury

Confessions of a camera junkie

Hi all. I'm a camera junkie. I admit it. Mostly I shoot 4x5 and 5x7. Lately I have been warming up the 8x10. And I shoot a far amount of 6x7 cm or 6x9 cm. I shoot very little 35mm and have a hard time finishing a roll, but when I checked my stock in the file cabinet, I have 10ea 35mm cameras of all types, from Nikonos to Contax to Hexar to Rollei 35. I even call it "dirty-five". There are two junk 35s in that collection that I'm going to sell or give, cameras that friends bought at garage sales and in their wisdom gave to me.

How many is too many? Should I join cameras anonymous?

Happy shooting friends, EW

Re: Confessions of a camera junkie

Ok so how many enlarging timers do you have?

Foamer

My rule of thumb is if I haven't used it in two years, I should sell it. (Unless, like my 1928 Voigtlander Bergheil with Heliar, it's much too cool to sell.)

Kent in SD
    In contento ed allegria
    Notte e di vogliam passar!

I've gotten rid of most of my 35mm film cameras. Except for the f4s I bought as a teenager and spent a whole summers earnings on and is now worthless on the market but has good memories for me. I've sold most of my 35mm film except for a few rolls for doing fixer tests with little pieces and in case I want to use the Nikon. Digital cameras I sell or give away when I upgrade. MF and LF is more than enough to keep cameras for. I'm thinking of cutting back on MF to just a couple rolleiflexes and a brownie and holga.

Eric Woodbury

Luis, too many. My excuse there is I invented Metrolux. So all I have are the same, but 3 different models.
    my picture blog
    ejwoodbury.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Woodbury View Post
    Luis, too many. My excuse there is I invented Metrolux. So all I have are the same, but 3 different models.
    Yup, I know, I only have 4 Metrolux, 2 1's and 2 2's. I'd love to use one with my DeVere 5108, but I haven't figured out how to insert a probe without driling a hole which I don't want to do. Also don't think it would handle the 1250 watt load.

My rule of thumb is if I haven't used something in 20 years, I keep it just in case I might need it in the next 20! You can't be too careful with this stuff! L

Les

Not sure I'd follow this advise :>), but sell everything (maybe with with exception of a lens/camera that have most meaning)....then get what you REALLY need.

Les

I may be on your trail: 2 1950's 35mm cameras that real should go, my beloved OM-1 that I got as a teen but which is not 100% reliable anymore, two thrift store finds: Olympus XA & Nikon FM, another Nikon I bought at a fundraiser and kind of wish I hadn't, it's not a bad camera but it isn't great either. A Busch Pressman D which I might use more with a longer lens and a reliable shutter. , A Sinar P (keeper) 4x5 & 5x7 (and plans to build an 8x10 kit for or buy one), a half plate camera, a field 8x10 being restored, a home built studio 8x10, and close to a dozen pinhole cameras. Plus a couple digital cameras and phone. And, I still think I want a go hiking whole plate camera, a panoramic camera, (?8x20?, 7x14?), and a 14x17. Oh and for when family is along, a Rollei. Since I like contact prints, increasingly I think 8x10 or whole plate might be where I settle. I'd rather not scan or enlarge but the Rollei is just such an amazing piece of gear.

Last count: 1 digi, 1 35mm, 1 MF, 1 4x5, 5(!) 5x7, 2 8x10, 1 9x9, 1 12x20.

It's an illness.
    I have a very understanding bride.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Quote Originally Posted by John Kasaian View Post
    Last count: 1 digi, 1 35mm, 1 MF, 1 4x5, 5(!) 5x7, 2 8x10, 1 9x9, 1 12x20.

It's an illness.
    I have a very understanding bride.
    John, you forgot to mention the turkey, block of cheese, watermelon, and who knows what else!