Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: grain focusing problem

grain focusing problem

I am enlarging 4x5 Tmax 100 to about 11x14. I am having an impossible time focusing the grain. I look through the grain focuser and can't find any grain. I have to focus without the focuser and hope for the best. Can it be that I need a better focuser? I use an older, probably cheap, focuser. Thanks.
    Alexis

Sinar F1
    Toyo 45AX
    Chamonix 45N-2
    too many others

Re: grain focusing problem

I've never had much luck focusing on grain. TMX is virtually grainless, so I can see your point. I doubt a better focuser will make much of a difference. Usually there are some small and sharp details in a print that allow for uite precise focusing, even without a focusing aid.

Pretty much the same experience, which if you think of it is part of the reason why we choose LF.

However I have always found some in a light patch. Just move your focuser until you do.
    I suppose that you could also use a magnifying glass to ensure some objects are sharp.

Agree with the comments that this film, at your enlargement, does not result in much grain to focus with. It's a relative thing. You will know when it is in focus by choosing and edge feature in the image, then racking the focus element back and forth while looking through the "grain" focuser. It's a feel thing.

I always look for an area that has a high contrast distinction and try to make it as sharp as possible. A dark object against the sky or similar.
    Rick Allen

Argentum Aevum

practicing Pastafarian

Often there is no grain and less contrast in the negative.
    If you are not in the lucky position to have a focusing tool like the one in a Durst negative carrier, you can take a selfmade master negative off high dense and with some scratches into the emulsion; this will bring focusing control to every print.

plaubel,

I am using a Beseler 45 for large format. But what you said interests me because I have a Durst for medium format. Could you describe the focusing tool for me. On my enlarger there is a swing away red filter and then a swing away frosted filter. I never knew what the frosted one was for. It that it?
    Alexis

Sinar F1
    Toyo 45AX
    Chamonix 45N-2
    too many others

A good focuser helps. Peak is the brand to get.
    But tmax grain is pretty invisible, so use the focuser to focus an object instead.

You may fix every thing in the enlarger/easel, except focusing.
    Put another grainy film in the same film carrier, smaller format may be better.
    You may also use another sheet of 4X5 TMX, that has been developed for more grain.
    Focus well.
    Replace the grainy film with your TMX 4X5 film.
    Hope this useful.
    Last edited by Thalmees; 21-Jan-2017 at 15:08. Reason: Adding info

The generosity of spirit in this forum is great, its warmly appreciated.
    ------------------------------

Quote Originally Posted by fralexis View Post
    plaubel,

I am using a Beseler 45 for large format. But what you said interests me because I have a Durst for medium format. Could you describe the focusing tool for me. On my enlarger there is a swing away red filter and then a swing away frosted filter. I never knew what the frosted one was for. It that it?
    No, that's not it. I think he's referring to the negative carrier that comes with the Durst 138, which has a cross hair embedded in one side that can be used to focus the negative stage. Only works well if you first calibrate the cross hair to be at exactly the same height as the negative (emulsion).

I forgot what the frosted filter is for; it's either for measuring overall exposure or set the white balance in color enlargement or something like that.