Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sinar Pan Tilt head will not tilt

Re: Sinar Pan Tilt head will not tilt

Hello,
    Did you try to tilt it while in your hand, only?
    Before disassembling, try to connect it your camera/tripod, and then test the tilt function.
    It could work under the influence of tension from camera weight.
    If you already disassembled it, it should re-assembled carefully and correctly.
    If it work this was, just take it out and try to exercise it by hand.
    It still could need CLA.

The generosity of spirit in this forum is great, its warmly appreciated.
    ------------------------------

Had the same problem with my Sinar Pan Tilt head when I bought it (for a bargain price) years ago. Took it apart, cleaned the parts, and bought the most expensive lubricant from ACE Hardware, applied it and the head has served me loyally since then. Was told definitely not to use WD-40 or graphite lubricant by a machinist, but can't remember the reasons why not to use them.

Good luck

Quote Originally Posted by Thalmees View Post
    Hello,
    Did you try to tilt it while in your hand, only?
    Before disassembling, try to connect it your camera/tripod, and then test the tilt function.
    It could work under the influence of tension from camera weight.
    If you already disassembled it, it should re-assembled carefully and correctly.
    If it work this was, just take it out and try to exercise it by hand.
    It still could need CLA.

This is a good idea. Put your camera on it, and put on a tripod. See if the weight of the camera will free it up. You might be surprised!
    I would still clean it, it won't hurt it
    Flikr Photos Here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/18134483@N04/

“The secret of getting ahead is getting started.”
    ― Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon View Post
    Why wait till Monday? They are usually open on Sunday.
    That's true, and normally I'd follow your advice. This Sunday, however, is a full, head-down, working day for me. Monday should be lighter.

I did write to B&H as soon as I discovered the problem, so that might (or might not) speed things up.

Many thanks for the suggestion, though. Thanks, too, to everyone who has contributed advice and reassurance.

The head is well and truly stuck, even mounted on a tripod and under weight. Sounds like it needs disassembly and lubrication. I'll see if B&H is willing and able to help before I do anything else.

The silver lining is that I am in no hurry. I was just thinking ahead (excuse the pun) when I bought it. It'll almost certainly be fixed before I have a Sinar to put on it.

Right, back to work for me. Thanks again, everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Pseudonym View Post
    That's true, and normally I'd follow your advice. This Sunday, however, is a full, head-down, working day for me. Monday should be lighter.

I did write to B&H as soon as I discovered the problem, so that might (or might not) speed things up.

Many thanks for the suggestion, though. Thanks, too, to everyone who has contributed advice and reassurance.

The head is well and truly stuck, even mounted on a tripod and under weight. Sounds like it needs disassembly and lubrication. I'll see if B&H is willing and able to help before I do anything else.

The silver lining is that I am in no hurry. I was just thinking ahead (excuse the pun) when I bought it. It'll almost certainly be fixed before I have a Sinar to put on it.

Right, back to work for me. Thanks again, everyone.
    Strange that you have time to do all the emails in this this thread but not enough time to make a phone call. I find that when I make a call I can still read an email and answer it. But when I am writing an email I can't dial a phone.

Compensate by using one tripod leg longer or shorter for tilt and leveling? ;-)
    ” Never attribute to inspiration that which can be adequately explained by delusion”.

Quote Originally Posted by Willie View Post
    Compensate by using one tripod leg longer or shorter for tilt and leveling? ;-)
    Just be ready to catch the camera on its trip south.

I would like to use this head with DSLR camera and telelenses for low level photography and video of water birds.
    Therefore I constructed my own tripod Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2017-03-12_Stativ_low_level_0001.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	28.0 KB 
ID:	162475

Do you think the Sinar will work for this use as a video head?
    Is the friction, the resistance enough for pan and tilt with 5kg gear?

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    Was told definitely not to use WD-40 or graphite lubricant by a machinist, but can't remember the reasons why not to use them.
    I don't know why not to use WD-40.

I R a machinist, and I use it tall the time.
    It's a great solvent, and it leaves a thin coat of paraffin as a lubricant when it dries.

I definitely DO agree about not using graphite for anything.
    It's made of numerous tiny disks, like pancakes, but almost as hard as diamonds.
    When these rub over one another they form a very smooth slippery surface.
    But when one scrapes along a finished surface on its edge, it cuts.

- Leigh
    If you believe you can, or you believe you can't... you're right.

OP here with a belated epilogue.

I returned the head to B&H a few days after my previous post here. They looked at it while I was overseas and found nothing wrong. It was, I think, simply overtightened to a degree that I was unwilling to challenge if it meant possibly voiding the warranty. B&H kindly held onto it until I returned from travelling and then shipped it back to me. They were helpful and straightforward throughout.

So, all ends well. Now it tilts. Time to find a camera to put on it. Thanks again to everyone for comments and suggestions.