Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sinar Pan Tilt head will not tilt

Sinar Pan Tilt head will not tilt

Greetings to all. New member here, with what I hope is a stupid question.

I just bought a Sinar Pan Tilt head from B&H Photo as an early foray into LF photography. I know they are elusive, so I struck while the iron was hot.

It arrived yesterday, and seems to be in very good condition. It pans just as I would expect. I am, however, unable to get it to tilt. It seems to be stuck at horizontal, even after I loosen the collar locking screw.

Am I missing a necessary step or action?

Any wisdom gratefully received. I look forward to participating in less niggling topics in the future!

Re: Sinar Pan Tilt head will not tilt

Thanks for your reply and suggestions. Here are a few images:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SPT1.JPG 
Views:	60 
Size:	69.0 KB 
ID:	160069

Name:	SPT2.JPG 
Views:	49 
Size:	91.1 KB 
ID:	160070

Name:	SPT3.JPG 
Views:	45 
Size:	88.0 KB 
ID:	160071

Hope these are useful. I can post another view or a more detailed shot if it would help. The tilt handle does glide smoothly away from the head and rotate.

Quote Originally Posted by Pseudonym View Post
    I am, however, unable to get it to tilt. It seems to be stuck at horizontal, even after I loosen the collar locking screw.
    I'll bet it sat for years without being used. Loosen the lever, then rap the screw end with a dead-blow hammer or a small hammer with a wood block between to keep from bruising the finish.

Before banging, some penetrating oil might be in order, too, though it can be hard on finishes. Mine is smooth as butter in both directions. A joy to use with the Sinar P I have.

Looks to be in good condition. Agree with above, it's just stuck together. Needs a clean and relube.
    Flikr Photos Here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/18134483@N04/

“The secret of getting ahead is getting started.”
    ― Mark Twain

Many thanks for these helpful replies. It sounds like the head needs some work.

I'll see what B&H say when I talk to them on Monday. It shouldn't have arrived in this condition. Their warranty should cover this.

At least it isn't my head that needs work. I couldn't see what I could possibly have missed with such a well-judged and straightforward design.

It's nice to hear that these heads are a joy to use. People who have them seem to have nothing but good words for them.

Mine came in the same condition, and it just needed a clean. These have thin plastic washers between the metal bits. I would take it apart, clean everything (maybe with electronics cleaner so as not to harm plastic) and then reassemble. The vertical tilt is easy to take apart, just unscrew that "collar locking screw" all the way and carefully pull it apart. Do take careful notes about the order of assembly. I didn't use any oil or lube on mine.

Right, thinking about this again, I don't think it needs lubrication. Just cleaning and a bit of elbow grease to free it up.

I use electronic contact cleaner on my Sinar Normas, it's the right thing to use. And if more cleaning strength is needed, try acetone.
    Just don't get it on the finish and wear nitrile groves, with good ventiliation. I use a toothbrush, toothpicks, etc to scrape away any crud.
    You can do this yourself.

This is a fifteen minute job. And really, you are not going to break it.
    Flikr Photos Here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/18134483@N04/

“The secret of getting ahead is getting started.”
    ― Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Pseudonym View Post
    Many thanks for these helpful replies. It sounds like the head needs some work.

I'll see what B&H say when I talk to them on Monday. It shouldn't have arrived in this condition. Their warranty should cover this.

At least it isn't my head that needs work. I couldn't see what I could possibly have missed with such a well-judged and straightforward design.

It's nice to hear that these heads are a joy to use. People who have them seem to have nothing but good words for them.
    Why wait till Monday? They are usually open on Sunday.

Totally correct decision to have jumped when you saw one available. It took me almost two months to find mine (on eBay.de actually).