Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Safe Haven for Small Formats

Re: Safe Haven for Small Formats

Portability, Pointability, that's what 35mm gives me. (or a digital, but we won't go there). It's being able to have a camera that has 36 shots, where I can bracket, or change my angle, or change the aperture quickly and cheaply. Pointability in that I can run outside when I notice a a great sunrise hitting my office window, and move around in my yard to avoid telephone lines. 35mm is for shooting things fast. I don't think about resolution or movements when I'm "conceptualizing a shot" or whatever. I just think about what is practical.

David,

The fact that you don't know how to use the site is not the fault of the site.

All long threads have page icons that can be clicked to bring up that page, for example:

I have no idea why you feel obliged to use an affectation to make your post different, but it fails:

- Leigh
    If you believe you can, or you believe you can't... you're right.

Hello Leigh,

Indeed the page icon process to jump to whatever page in a thread has been obvious since I began using the site. My input was terse thus meaning vague. The issue I have always had is not being able to find my own threads easily if there are many pages because Search seems to have limitations so I end up just perusing page to page. Advanced search seems to work in some ways but there may be limitations? After your input above I just played around with it some more to see if there are any differences now and it seems to be the same. For an example on this thread:

http://www.largeformatphotography.in...ormats/page101

We can see the member tuco on page 101 however if one goes into Advanced search and enters that member in the User Name field it does not show that search hit. I also tried unique text and same issue so suspect there may be a algorithm limit on how deeply into given threads search works. And note I tried several variations. Please enlighten if I am missing something, thank you.

As for my blue text, that it a strategy to easily visually notice my own threads not only on this board but also others since almost everyone else is black. Not surprised it may annoy some haha.

Sometimes a Google search produces the best results if you know a few unique words in a particular post.

E.g. Search entry: large format forum "celebrating national"

This also works: largeformatphotography "celebrating national"

Takes you to:
    Page 225 of "Show off your Large Format Camera", where the above text exists in post 2243
    I know just enough to be dangerous !

Agree that google does a better job than almost any forum-based search engine. I search for text with the additional string:

site:examplesite.com

and find what I'm looking for in most cases. It works for any website on which you search for information.

Peter

Quote Originally Posted by David_Senesac View Post
    The issue I have always had is not being able to find my own threads easily if there are many pages because Search seems to have limitations so I end up just perusing page to page.
    If that's the problem, you can always click on your name at the top/right of the screen and a page with your information will open. On that page is a link for your latest posts and latest started threads.

Peter

(Shrek)

Quote Originally Posted by David_Senesac View Post
    No one knows what is on page 500 of a 1000 page thread.

David
    When I joined, I went through all of the image threads right back to the beginning. And I may do so again at some point when I have the time. I agree that there's no easy way to see all of one's own posts, unlike other forums I've been on. I don't think google will be of much help anymore on that issue.