Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stouffer - Scanner & Photoshop

Stouffer - Scanner & Photoshop

I have just borrowed a calibrated Stouffer 21 step wedge mainly because I have never seen one and was curious to what they look like.

I have just created a Raw scan with Vuescan of the step wedge and also a negative. Armed with Photoshop the scanner and the step wedge, can I use it in any way to determine if the negative is well exposed / developed ?

The file which is in the Gray Gamma 2.2 Color space can also be downloaded from https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...rough-Arch.jpg

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	21-Stoufer-Step-Wedge-Flamborough-Arch.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	54.9 KB 
ID:	159937
    Last edited by IanBarber; 18-Jan-2017 at 01:43.

Re: Stouffer - Scanner & Photoshop

What is the density of step 17 of the wedge? It's equivalent to the highest density in your negative. It looks like you have plenty of detail in the lower luminous scene areas.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

Thank you for asking this question! now I will play with my step-wedges too!
    ~nicholas
    lifeofstawa
    stawastawa at gmail

Quote Originally Posted by Peter De Smidt View Post
    What is the density of step 17 of the wedge? It's equivalent to the highest density in your negative. It looks like you have plenty of detail in the lower luminous scene areas.
    According to the chart supplied with the Stouffer, the density of step 17 is 2.44

It's not the best negative for testing film speed and developing time due to the extremes in lighting with the very bright sea/sky behind the rock. You would need to increase exposure and cut development to cope with this dynamic range. So this negative is under exposed and over developed.

There's another issue there appears to be a high level of base fog.

Ian

Quote Originally Posted by IanG View Post
    It's not the best negative for testing film speed and developing time due to the extremes in lighting with the very bright sea/sky behind the rock. You would need to increase exposure and cut development to cope with this dynamic range. So this negative is under exposed and over developed.

There's another issue there appears to be a high level of base fog.

Ian
    In your opinion, what contributes to a high level of base fog

This is the first time I have used T-Max and I have noticed that the film even the edges appear to have a pinkish colour to them which I am guessing is the dye. Should I be thinking about using some hypo to remove the dye or even giving it a pre-soak before development.

You need to fix Tmax for longer than other films to remove the pink dye, it will disappear. Base fog can be caused by a variety of things, ageing or poor storage, minor darkroom light leaks, led/neon bulb on electrical equipment and choice of developer can play a part as well. It's most likely the pink dye in this case.

Ian

Quote Originally Posted by IanG View Post
    You need to fix Tmax for longer than other films to remove the pink dye, it will disappear. Base fog can be caused by a variety of things, ageing or poor storage, minor darkroom light leaks, led/neon bulb on electrical equipment and choice of developer can play a part as well. It's most likely the pink dye in this case.

Ian

Thanks, I usually fix FomaPan for 5 minutes, with T-Max I try 10 minutes.

Do you recommend a pre-soak ?

Quote Originally Posted by IanBarber View Post
    Do you recommend a pre-soak ?
    No. I've never used a pre-soak and it's not recommended by the film manufacturers. When I used Tmax films I fixed until the pink dye cleared because of their high Iodide levels Tmax films tend to exhaust fixer faster than other films.

Ian

I agree with Ian that's the negative is over developed. There seemed to be plenty of shadow detail, but lessening the development will effect the shadows a small amount, and so it's hard to be sure about that.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know