Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How to buy safely?

Re: How to buy safely?

This is a pretty good community. Most folks here are honest and Good-faith selelrs. With that said, I am uncomfortable with online buying. I prefer to buy locally and close the transaction in person. That is just me though. I still miss the old Houston Camera Show . . .and the last one of those was sometime in the early 2K years.
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com
    http://www.artsyhome.com/author/drew-bedo

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!

While post count is one indicator, I also like to see WHAT they're posting. If it's contributing to the knowledge base of the board, I look more kindly upon those members.

I've only had one transaction here that kind of raised my eyebrow. A camera was packaged with minimal bubble wrap/ peanuts etc.. Other than a rangefinder calibration, it was fine....whew

Otherwise I've had nothing but great transactions here and a recent one (hi Robert Ley !) worked out wonderfully when they brought up my items during a visit, saving me shipping !

I've sold a few things here and plan to list a few for FS: but have primarily been a buyer vs seller

freddy
    Last edited by Fred L; 17-Jan-2017 at 20:42.
    notch codes ? I only use one film...

I think members on here are pretty honest but if you want to be sure then use PayPal as Greg suggests.

Quote Originally Posted by Fred L View Post

I've only had one transaction here that kind of raised my eyebrow. A camera was packaged with minimal bubble wrap/ peanut etc.. Other than a rangefinder calibration, it was fine....whew
    freddy
    I bought an old 8x10 wooden tailboard camera off Ebay. I only bought it for the Kodak 305mm Portrait lens that was on it. When it arrived the camera was just placed in an oversized box with minimal shipping peanuts without any bubble wrap. The camera was fine except I had to vacuum all the peanut dust out of it. What really amazed me though was that the lens with lens board was just thrown in the box loose. Not attached to the camera, no zip lock bag, no bubble wrap, nothing. Fortunately, it was all right.

I don't like Pay Pal, for all the reasons listed already.

I have bought from a few long time members who insist on Postal Money Orders, which are very safe and hard to counterfeit. Works for me.

If I sell locally, I always sell for cash and meet the buyer at any bank lobby, preferably theirs.

Many here insist on personal checks and they wait several weeks for the check to clear, then ship. Good idea.

As a buyer, I usually ask a seller if they will take my check and hold shipping until it clears. Good idea for us both.

I have also asked a seller or three here, to agree to sell to me, but could they wait a week for my Pay Day. All have agreed!

Eliminate the middle man.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Gales View Post
    I think members on here are pretty honest but if you want to be sure then use PayPal as Greg suggests.
    +1!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by anilajain View Post
    As some people suggested here, PayPal seems safe when you are buying anything!
    Yes, but you actually pay more.

Many things on eBay, including old cameras, are sold off eBay, in a private store for 10% less, by the same seller. And with free shipping and 6-month guarantee.

I always look for a volume seller's private non-eBay store.

Do your own homework. Save money.

Randy, I agree with what you are saying. I don't particularly like PayPal and haven't used it in years, but if I send you money and you elect not to send my the product I am buying I don't have any recourse. Especially if you live across country from me. I guess the only answer is trust! I look at what you have for sale and it is going to be a good price or I am not interested anyway, then I send my payment, and when the check clears I trust you to send my purchase..

To me it appears that most people selling items here have several ads going. So if you doubt their integrity try buying something small and cheap from them. Then base your next purchase based on your experience.

After I get to know someone I like paying with E-Transfers ( internet bank transfers )
    Once your bank account is set up they are quick, easy, and cheap.

Old Jim, I think you'd best not buy from distant strangers.