Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: English large format users

English large format users

Hi Everyone
    I'm fairly new to this site but was a sometimes user of the old compuserve photoforum about a decade ago. I am an amateur with a few monochrome exhibitions to my name now in the West of England and produced my first photographic book ( of aspects of Andalucia, Spain ) earlier this year. I bought a 54 ( ebony) 2 years ago and have now bought a 10x8 (Toyo monorail) cause it was a cheap way into the format. I bought a Symmar S 240 lens today from a very helpful Mr Cad and am almost ready to take my first shots.

My question is based on the observation that as the format appears to increase so the isolation of the photographer increases as well. I know absolutely no-body else who shoots in this format (apart from a couple of emails exchanged with Paul Owen. Is there any organised, formal or informal large format photographers group or club in England? If there is no such animal shoud there be one, or do we all slog away in isolation?
    Is there anybody out there :-) ?

The RPS?
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)

Geoff, I aquired my Toyo 45A just before Xmas, and knew absolutely no one using LF around here in Bucks, other than the cameras previous owner 60 miles away who now only worships his DSLR. I had to research archives and ask questions on forums such as this. There is nothing like talking to real people, as I found out last weekend. I went to the LF Workshop in the Lake District organised by Paul Owen, it was a very useful experience. It's likely that there will be more gatherings. Would these interest you? Myself, I am off on Friday to the Isle of Skye for 8 days for some solitary wanderings hoping for good light. This I too enjoy.

Is that a Hassleblad? Brian Vuillemenot's Avatar

Slogging away in isolation forces you to dig deep creatively, and can greatly accelerate the rate of your artistic development.
    Brian Vuillemenot

Hello Geoff.

Good to have you aboard.

I have retired, but I am still able to sample the photographic delights of the Northern Highlands and Islands of Scotland each year. I plan my trips for early or late in the year to avoid the midges. I use a camper van to carry the Sinar photographic gear which now includes the P2 10x8.
    My wife, fortunately has a sympathetic understanding of my varied photographic and other wants accompanies me.

Anyone else out there using 10X8 in the UK?

I live in Dorset at Friars Cliff .

"Anyone else out there using 10X8 in the UK? "

I do when I head back to W. Sussex every now and then (but I do have to convert it from 8x10 at customs... ;-) )
    You'd be amazed how small the demand is for pictures of trees... - Fred Astaire to Audrey Hepburn

www.photo-muse.blogspot.com blog

I'm in the Midlands and I'm regarded as a bit of an oddity by the other members of the camera club that I belong to. One old lad used to help his Dad with his full plate camera and is sympathetic. The rest of them cannot understand that it's the camera that is made of wood, not the lens. They've all sold their souls to Photoshop and sadly they believe the digital propoganda that the average cruddy digital camera will "easily match one ofIyour big wooden cameras " for quality.
    I get a bit fed up with people asking stupid questions about the cameras when I'm out with them and I'm sure that they don't believe that my Wista is Japanese and that it wasn't made in the 19th century.
    BUT
    what screws me up most is that we have such a limited choice of film once you pass the 5x4 barrier. We have Silverprint who do their best but Kodak 10x8 has to be a special import (with a price to match) and only one brand of 11 x 14 is available in the whole of the British Isles and to Ilfords shame that is Bregger film imported from France.
    Thats it, I'm gonna have a drink now!

Oh Tim, I'm sorry. I forgot that I need to be multi-lingual I meant 4x5, 8x10 & 11x14. I hope that that's right.

there was a smiley in there Pete ;-)
    You'd be amazed how small the demand is for pictures of trees... - Fred Astaire to Audrey Hepburn

www.photo-muse.blogspot.com blog

Dear Geoff,

Nice to hear that old Compuserve members don't just fade away.<g>